Bryant’s Grove School (Black) 1880-c1940

BRYANTS GROVE SCHOOL BLACK 1880-c1940 was on the south side of Couchville Pike near the Davidson County line. It was on land given for a school and church by Henry Bryant and wife on August 28, 1880 and by Will Bryant and wife Hattie on January 13, 1913. The two…

Continue reading

True Blue Pioneers: First African American Athletes Honored

February 14, 2020, Michael Linn White, Murfreesboro City TV MTSU’s first African American Athletes were honored at a special event on campus. These trailblazing former students discussed what it was like to be a minority in the 1960’s and how their time at MTSU impacted not only them, but the…

Continue reading

La Vergne School (Black), 1877-1884

LA VERGNE SCHOOL BLACK 1920’s-l952 was on a dirt lane which ran south of La Vergne and was between and parallel to the present Buster Mason and Waldron Roads. The lane is no longer there. The school was a one-room weatherboarded building. Grades taught were one through eight. Teachers were…

Continue reading

Salem School (Black)

SALEM SCHOOL BLACK 1940 was on the east side of Kimbro Road and about one mile south of the Salem Road. The schoolhouse was a frame building with two rooms. Among the teachers were Catherine Jackson, Ollie B. Officer, Lillian Hammons, and Willa Morton Kimbro Foster. Picola Smith taught sewing…

Continue reading

Rockvale School (Black) 1870-1936

ROCKVALE SCHOOL BLACK 1870-1936 or 1937 was on the west side of Versailles Road about one hundred yards south of the Rockvale Store. On May 24, 1870, Francis Jackson gave one acre of land to the School for Colored People, Church of God, or African Branch of the M. E.…

Continue reading

Burnt Hill School (Black), late 1800’s

BURNT HILL SCHOOL BLACK late 1800’s was one mile west of Eagleville and in the woods north of what is now Allisona. It was named BURNT HILL because the grounds had to be burned and cleared. That property in the 8th District was owned by Mr. Chesley Williams, “a wealthy…

Continue reading

Tennessee Manual Labor University (Black), 1872

TENNESSEE MANUAL LABOR UNIVERSITY BLACK 1872 was to have been located in District 13 on the old Nashville-Murfreesboro Road. The property was bounded by James M. Tompkins west of the Cemetery, by the river on the north, and by the railroad. On July 9, 1872, N. C. Collier, for consideration…

Continue reading

Haynes School (Black), 1909-1946

HAYNES SCHOOL BLACK 1909-1946 was on the north side of Shores Road and about two and one-half miles west of Beasley Road. It was on a lane that at one time led to the house and cemetery of the Blackman plantation. On August 28, 1909, Charles Haynes and wife Caroline…

Continue reading

Hickory Grove School (Black) 1925-1955

Hickory Grove School (black) 1925-1955 was off the west side of Hickory Grove Road which runs north off Jefferson Pike. The first building was torn down around 1925. The second schoolhouse was a one-room frame building with a door and steps at the front. A kitchen was added later to…

Continue reading