Rucker Hill Elementary School (Black), 1896-1927

RUCKER HILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BLACK 1896-1927 was built on the old Nashville Highway. It was on John Sneed property on a hill southeast of the present Sam Davis Road and near Rocky Fork Road. There is no longer aroad up to the site of the school. The school was a…

Continue reading

Antioch School (Black), 1889-1946

ANTIOCH SCHOOL BLACK 1889-1946 was on the north side of the present Joe Brown Road. On October 9, 1889, James E. Stockard deeded to School Directors James W. Hunt and John W. Putman the land for a school. The parcel was bounded on the east by the Antioch Church lot.…

Continue reading

Emery School (Black), 1882-1958

EMERY SCHOOL BLACK 1882-1958 was on the west side of Emery Road which is to the west of Lascassas Road, between Osborne and Compton Roads. The school was in the Emery community and next to the Emery Methodist Church which still holds services as of 1986. On November 11, 1882,…

Continue reading

Sand Hill School (Black) 1920s-1952

SAND HILL SCHOOL BLACK 1920’s-1952 was to the north off Sand Hill Road. There was no road to the school itself. Presently there is a dead end road to the site. The schoolhouse was a one-room frame building. Among the teachers were Willie Alexander, Josephine Pruett, Rev. A.M. Hampton, Louise…

Continue reading

Bradley Museum celebrates 100th year with Willie McGowan Banquet

March 12, 2018, WGNS Radio Willie McGowan will be remembered at a banquet in his honor, Saturday,March 24, 2018, as supporters of Bradley Academy Museum and Cultural Center celebrate 100 years of African-American education. The Willie McGowan Banquet will be held at the museum, 415 S. Academy St. in Murfreesboro,…

Continue reading

Celebration of the Community Once Known as ‘Cemetery’

Saturday, February 18, 2018 The 3rd annual tour of the community once known as ‘Cemetery’ was an unqualified success.  Two motor coaches loaded to local history supporters visited the historic Stones River United Methodist Church and Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Church.  We enjoyed history, entertainment, education and fellowship.

Continue reading

Little Hope School (Black) 1894-1965

LITTLE HOPE SCHOOL BLACK 1894-1965 was in the Little Hope area. It was on the west side of the present Baker Road and about one mile north of the BROWN’S CHAPEL SCHOOL. On September 8, 1894, Bird Peebles colored deeded one-half acre of land for a school. It bordered the…

Continue reading

Halls School (Black), ? – 1949

HALLS SCHOOL BLACK -1949 , was in District 7 and then in District 13 on the west side of Gresham Lane, and about three-fourths mile north of the Franklin Road. The school was on land originally bought by Flemmon Hall on December 15, 1877 from the heirs of John Henderson.…

Continue reading