Overall School (Black) School, 1920-c1936

OVERALL SCHOOL BLACK f 1. 1920’s-c 1936 was east of Lofton. It was about one and one-half miles south of State Road 96 on the east side of Craddock Road. The schoolhouse was a one-room building which was used also by the Colored Overall Methodist Church. Known teachers were Odessa…

Continue reading

Northcott School, 1879-1885

NORTHCOTT SCHOOL f 1. 1879-fl. 1885 was in District 22 about three-fourths of a mile east of Brown’s Mill on the east side of the Northcott farm. The ground was probably given by the elder James Northcott. The namesJ. Northcott and S. Kerr are on the 1878 Beers Map. The…

Continue reading

Lascassas School (Black), ?-1945

LASCASSAS SCHOOL BLACK (1945) was held in the Sycamore Grove Missionary Baptist Church on the west side of Valley View Road and just north of the Jefferson-Milton Road. The one-room frame building was warmed by a coal heater. Water was carried from the home of Mrs. Zula Norris. Both desks…

Continue reading

Hayes School, 1860’s-1899

HAYES SCHOOL f1. 1860’s-1899 was between Twelve Corners and Lofton and was on Rhodes Lane, now Jim Allen Road. It was on the property of Dave crouse about one mile off Cainsville Pike. A Mrs. D. Crouse is shown on the Beer’s Map of 1878. The school was a one-teacher,…

Continue reading

Cainsville School, 1886-1941

CAINSVILLE SCHOOL before 1886-c 1941 was located on the west side of Cainsville Pike just over the Rutherford-Wilson County line. It was on the farm of Thomas Lillard Huddleston who gave the land for as long as there was a school. Both Wilson and Rutherford County students attended the school.…

Continue reading

Other Schools in District 21

Cader Dement, Henry Kirby, and Benjamin Clayton signed a deed on October 18, 1839 to School Commissioners William D. Baird, John Stroop, Christopher Acklan, James Sanford, and James Rucker for a school. Cader Dement guaranteed for the school “free passage to and from the spring.” There is an H. Kerby…

Continue reading

Shiloh School (Black), 1874-1967

SHILOH SCHOOL BLACK 1874-1967 was on the north side of Hall’s Hill Road about three and one-half miles from Murfreesboro. On July 30, 1874, Elizabeth Smith, Mary M. Harris, and Sam Harris deeded one acre of land on the Murfreesboro-Liberty Hill Pike to school commissioners. The lot was bordered by…

Continue reading

Buchanan School, 3rd Grade 1951-52

This pic was shared by an anonymous longtime Society member, originally shared October 20, 2012 to his/her ancestry.com tree… Buchanan School, Rutherford County, Tennessee. FRONT ROW, left to right: Tom Arnette, Steve Lawrence, Joe Pearson, Judge Rigsby, James H. “Jimmy” Jacobs, and George Haynes. ROW TWO: Jannie Smith, Wanda Coffman, Nancy Hughes,…

Continue reading

Shiloh School, c1880-1948

SHILOH SCHOOL c1880’s-1948 was about two miles east of Murfreesboro at the fork of Halls Hill Pike and Lovers Lane, now called Twin Oak Drive. Land for the school had been granted by the Overall family. The one-room frame building which faced south was on a triangular lot. The grounds…

Continue reading

Jordan School, 1861-1925

JORDAN SCHOOL 1861-1925 was about three miles north of Murfreesboro on the east side of the present State Road 96. The site and M. Pitts are on the 1878 Beers Map. On January 13, 1861, Matthew Pitts deeded one-half acre and the right of way to a well of water…

Continue reading