Silver Spring Schoolhouse, 1849

SILVER SPRING SCHOOLHOUSE before 1849. On May 3, 1849, Silas Tucker deeded to William D. Neal the one acre on the Stones River which he had reserved for a school lot. The school was known as SILVER SPRING SCHOOLHOUSE and had burned. The lot was no longer needed. The land…

Continue reading

Ewingville School, 1899-1926

EWINGSVILLE SCHOOL 1899-1925 or 1926 was on the North Milton Road just across the Rutherford County line in Wilson County. Students from both counties attended the school. EWINGSVILLE was first a one-teacher and then a two teacher school. Known teachers were Hannibal Jennings, Quixanna Cook, and Herman Rhodes. Maynard Knight…

Continue reading

Brown’s School (Black), 1888-1949

BROWNS SCHOOL BLACK 1888-1949, sometimes called ANTNEY BROWN SCHOOL, was in the woods east of TWELVE CORNERS. There was no road to the school. The site today would be at the dead end of Ball Park Road which runs north off Ruel McKnight Road which in turn runs north offState…

Continue reading

Rockdale School, District 15, 1857-1917

ROCKDALE SCHOOL District 15 1857-c 1917 was located on the south side of Holly Grove Road not far from the Holly Grove Church. On July 18, 1857, Joseph B. Johns and William S. Tune deeded to Trustees William Johns, William S. Tune, and Thomas Hall one acre of land for…

Continue reading

St. Paul School (Black), 1889-1912

ST. PAUL SCHOOL BLACK 1889-1912 was in Old Jefferson in District 6. It was about one-fourth mile east of the square toward the river and on the left side of the road. On January 30, 1889, John M. Reese and wife Mary H. signed a deed for one square acre…

Continue reading

Peru School, 1894-1912

PERU SCHOOL 1894-1912 was on Maddox Lane, between Sharp Springs Road and Weakley Road, and north of the Smyrna Air Base. In a deed dated August 21, 1894, A. V. Maddox and wife Mary Jane sold to School Directors Thomas Miller, Robert Mason, and R. H. White one acre of…

Continue reading

Mrs. Ward’s School, 1878-1897

MRS. WARD’S SCHOOL 1878-c 1897 was a subscription school north of the Old Nashville Turnpike and west of the Florence Road on an unnamed country road no longer in existence. On October 2, 1878, Richard W. Wade and wife Narcissa Neal Wade sold to Samuel Weakley, W. L. Davis, and…

Continue reading

McClure’s School, c1880-1891

McCLURE’S SCHOOL f1. 1880’s-before 1891 was on the northeast side of the Old Nashville Turnpike and west of the Florence Road. It was just west of Sky Harbor which was built on Crosthwait land. The large one-room frame building was both a school and a Presbyterian Church. Eliza Crosthwait was…

Continue reading

Lone Oak School, 1878-1919

LONE OAK SCHOOL 1878-1919 was located at the intersection of Baker Road and the Old Nashville Turnpike. It was early known as ETTA’S CHAPEL SCHOOL and then as School 2 in District no. 6. The site is shown on the Beers Map of 1878 as Chapel and S.H. In a…

Continue reading

Jefferson Seminary of Learning, 1811-1815

JEFFERSON SEMINARY OF LEARNING 1811-1815 was located in the courthouse of the Jefferson Community in old District 6. The courthouse had been abandoned when the county seat was moved to Lytle property in what is now Murfreesboro. The legislature made John Coffee, Peter Legrand, Shelton Crosthwaite, George Simpson, and Walter…

Continue reading