Mrs. Ward’s School, 1878-1897

MRS. WARD’S SCHOOL 1878-c 1897 was a subscription school north of the Old Nashville Turnpike and west of the Florence Road on an unnamed country road no longer in existence. On October 2, 1878, Richard W. Wade and wife Narcissa Neal Wade sold to Samuel Weakley, W. L. Davis, and…

Continue reading

Peru School, 1894-1912

PERU SCHOOL 1894-1912 was on Maddox Lane, between Sharp Springs Road and Weakley Road, and north of the Smyrna Air Base. In a deed dated August 21, 1894, A. V. Maddox and wife Mary Jane sold to School Directors Thomas Miller, Robert Mason, and R. H. White one acre of…

Continue reading

McClure’s School, c1880-1891

McCLURE’S SCHOOL f1. 1880’s-before 1891 was on the northeast side of the Old Nashville Turnpike and west of the Florence Road. It was just west of Sky Harbor which was built on Crosthwait land. The large one-room frame building was both a school and a Presbyterian Church. Eliza Crosthwait was…

Continue reading

Lone Oak School, 1878-1919

LONE OAK SCHOOL 1878-1919 was located at the intersection of Baker Road and the Old Nashville Turnpike. It was early known as ETTA’S CHAPEL SCHOOL and then as School 2 in District no. 6. The site is shown on the Beers Map of 1878 as Chapel and S.H. In a…

Continue reading

Jefferson Seminary of Learning, 1811-1815

JEFFERSON SEMINARY OF LEARNING 1811-1815 was located in the courthouse of the Jefferson Community in old District 6. The courthouse had been abandoned when the county seat was moved to Lytle property in what is now Murfreesboro. The legislature made John Coffee, Peter Legrand, Shelton Crosthwaite, George Simpson, and Walter…

Continue reading

Rock Spring School (aka Union School), 1884-1887

ROCK SPRING SCHOOL, first called UNION SCHOOL 4th District fl. 1884-1887 was located on a hill in the Rock Spring community. It was on the south side of the Rock Spring Road at the intersection of the present Waldron Road. The lane to the church and schoolhouse ran along the…

Continue reading

Almaville School, 1919-1952

ALMAVILLE SCHOOL 1919-1952 was one-tenth mile north of the first school and on the east side of the Almaville Road. At first it was across from the Church of Christ, but when the roadbed was changed, it was next to the church. In a deed registered on May 4, 1920,…

Continue reading

City Council to discuss takeover of Historic Bradley Academy

The Murfreesboro Post, July 29, 2015 The City Council is set to consider a memorandum of understanding Thursday with the Bradley Academy Historical Association transferring operation and management of the historical building to city government. This story has been updated. To view the original version, please click here. The City…

Continue reading

Milton School, 1934-1956

MILTON SCHOOL 1934-1956 was located on the north east corner of the intersection of State 96 and the North Milton Road. It was on the same property as had been the MILTON SEMINARY. The red brick building was built for both elementary and secondary grades but was never used as…

Continue reading

Jordan School, c1880

JORDAN SCHOOL 1880’s was on Vaughn Road which runs west off Beasley Road in the Blackman area. Names of Blackman and Bass are on the Beers Map of 1878. Mary Bass Blackman, b. April 9, 1875, rode her horse to school. She was a student. SOURCE: *Bessie Lee Batey Haynes,…

Continue reading