Smyrna Female Academy 1838-c1867

FEMALE ACADEMY 1838 – c1867 was north of Smyrna on what was later Jones Mill Road in the Sewart Air Force Base area. The building was near the junction of the Harts and Stewart Creeks and opposite the properties ofElizabeth Ridley and Constant Hardeman. On October 15, 1838, Moses Ridley…

Continue reading

Blair School, 1865-1890s

BLAIR SCHOOL before 1865-1890’s was in the La Vergne area. It was on the west side of the present Blair Road between Rock Springs and Chaney Roads on the property of James H. Blair, b. 1842, d. 1865. The name J. Blair is still shown on the Beers Map of…

Continue reading

Sand Hill School (Black) 1920s-1952

SAND HILL SCHOOL BLACK 1920’s-1952 was to the north off Sand Hill Road. There was no road to the school itself. Presently there is a dead end road to the site. The schoolhouse was a one-room frame building. Among the teachers were Willie Alexander, Josephine Pruett, Rev. A.M. Hampton, Louise…

Continue reading

Spring Creek (aka Wilson Line) School 1880-1926

SPRING CREEK SCHOOL 1880-1926 was on the north side of Maddux Road which ran east off Lamar Road. It was about one-fourth mile east of Lannom Cemetery and near the head of Spring Creek. The school was on property owned by Simp Lannom. Bryant Flowers also owned property bordering the…

Continue reading

Rockdale School (District 1), 1878-1965

ROCKDALE SCHOOL District 1 before 1878-c 1965 first met in a building on William Freeman land in the Friendship Community. The building is thought to have been the one Friendship Church had used before 1854. The site of the school is on the 1878 Beers Map and is shown on…

Continue reading

Morgan’s Chapel School, 1873-1882

MORGANS CHAPEL 1873-1882 was a subscription school held in the Morgan’s Chapel Methodist Church on the south side of Bradyville Pike. It was in the Dilton community. On September 15, 1873, Nace S. Overall signed a gift deed to B. M. Neal, Robert N. Ward, W. P. Henderson, John W.…

Continue reading

Henderson School, late 1800’s-1934

HENDERSON SCHOOL late l800’s-1934 was located on the Manchester Pike, south of its intersection with the Dilton-Mankin Lane but on the west side of the road. It was thought to have been built in the late 1800’s when Franklin Henderson owned the plantation and before Henry Pfeil bought the place…

Continue reading

Halls Hill School, 1937-1961

HALL’S HILL SCHOOL 1937-1961 was built on the foundation of the previous school. The frame schoolhouse necessarily had a floor plan much like that of the school which had burned. Because it had no kitchen, patrons built a kitchen large enough to serve also as a dining room. An electric…

Continue reading

Little Hope School (Black) 1894-1965

LITTLE HOPE SCHOOL BLACK 1894-1965 was in the Little Hope area. It was on the west side of the present Baker Road and about one mile north of the BROWN’S CHAPEL SCHOOL. On September 8, 1894, Bird Peebles colored deeded one-half acre of land for a school. It bordered the…

Continue reading

Simmons School, (Eagleville), 1884-1914

SIMMONS SCHOOL 1884-1914 was located four or five miles north of Eagleville on Rocky Glade Road. Bill Simmons gave the land on which the school was built. The schoolhouse was a small, one-room, weatherboarded building. It had one door at the front and wIndows at each side. The first teacher…

Continue reading