Holloway High School (Black), 1929-1968

HOLLOWAY HIGH SCHOOL BLACK 1929-1968 was built on the east side of South Highland Street. It was dedicated in December 1929 and was named in honor of E. C. Holloway who worked for the establishment of the school. The school served both city and county students. On April 27, 1929,…

Continue reading

The Female Academy, 1825-1891

The FEMALE ACADEMY 1825-1891 was located on the east side of Depot Street opposite the Methodist Church, presently Maple Street opposite the building of the Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation. According to the SOULE COLLEGE historical marker, the FEMALE ACADEMY was organized by Mary and Nancy Banks, teachers. F. N.…

Continue reading

Crichlow Grammar School, 1922-1968

CRICHLOW GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1922-1968 was located in Murfreesboro at 400 North Maple Street on the site of the old MURFREESBORO FEMALE ACADEMY and across the street from the present MTEMC building. In 1919, John Charles Mitchell, City School Superintendent, remodeled the old MURFREESBORO PUBLIC SCHOOL OR MAPLE STREET GRAMMAR SCHOOL,…

Continue reading

Raikes was ‘Greatest Bulldog Ever’

Smyrna High School towers as a beacon on Bulldog Drive where my children Katherine and Michael Harber both graduated. The advent of Robert ‘Bud’ Raikes is a longstanding and storied chapter of time. Robert was a win-win leader for the advancing school for 52 monumental years. He served as prime…

Continue reading

Central High School, 1919-1944

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL 1919-1944 was located on the westside of North Maple Street where the MTEMC (ed. 1986 this was the location of the Middle Tennessee Electric Membership, 2020 current location of Murfreesboro Housing Authority) building now stands. On February 9, 1917, the city and county jointly bought the old…

Continue reading

Central High School, 1915-1919

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL fall 1915-spring 1919 was a coeducational, public school housed in the old MOONEY School Building on East Main Street. The school is listed by name as CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL in the Biennial Report of Schools of Tennessee 1915-1916. A two-year high school, it became a four-year high…

Continue reading

Cannonsburgh Chapel-Tipperary School, 1915-1925

The Cannonsburgh Chapel in Murfreesboro was at one time TIPPERARY SCHOOL 1915-1925, a subscription school in District 3. It was on the south side of the present Waldron Road about one mile from the railroad in Lavergne. The TIPPERARY SCHOOL was first named GAMBILL SCHOOL in honor of School Director…

Continue reading

Bristol Nelson Physiological School, 1911-1949

BRISTOL NELSON PHYSIOLOGICAL SCHOOL 1911-1949 was located at 512 North Highland Ave., Murfreesboro. The site is shown on the 1878 Beers Map as the home of J. W. Ewing facing High Street and bordered by Burton Street and Liberty Pike. Not only is the building historic, but it has been…

Continue reading

Bradley School, Black 1884-1955

BRADLEY SCHOOL BL?CK 1884-1955 was a reorganization of BRADLEY ACADEMY for the exclusive use of Negroes. The school was located on the east side of S. Academy Street in Murfreesboro. The old BRADLEY ACADEMY building, which was used as a hospital during the war, was turned over to F. G.…

Continue reading