Versailles School, 1850’s-1886

VERSAILLES SCHOOL 1850’s-l885 or 1886 was the first school known in the area. It was in the southeast corner of the Nance property where the Nance farm joins the Bill Williams-Willie Floyd Williams land. It was on the 10th District 1/2 mile east of Versailles on the north side of…

Continue reading

Concord School (Eagleville), 1871-1910

CONCORD SCHOOL f 1. 1871-1910 was located on land given by Charles Blackman “Kit” Farris, a Methodist Circuit Rider, and by Dr. J. O. Sharber for building a church and a school. It was across from the present Concord Methodist Church. The 1878 Beers Map shows Concord Church on the…

Continue reading

Gladeview School (Black), Dilton, 1884-1958

GLADEVIEW SCHOOL BLACK 1884-1958 was first located on the west side of Mt. Herman Road at the intersection of Veals Road. F. G. Carney on September 13, 1884, deeded one-half acre to School Directors J. C. Coleman, W. J. Knox, and M. Frank Overall for “schoolhouse now standing on the…

Continue reading

Pleasant Hill School, 1923-1939

PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL 1923-1939, sometimes called “CHIGGER RIDGE” and “PUMPKIN CENTER,” was located on Rocky Glade Road about four miles north of Highway 99. It was on the south side of the road just east of the intersection with Taylor Road. When the LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL closed, the building was…

Continue reading

Kelley Chapel School, 1886-?

KELLEY CHAPEL SCHOOL 1886- was on the west side of the Eagleville-Shelbyville Turnpike about three miles south of Eagleville. On August 16, 1886, Enoch Beale Kelley and Sarah Jane Kelley deeded one half acre of land to School Directors F. Oglivie, John B. Crichlow, and Anderson Wilson for twenty-five dollars.…

Continue reading

Hard Start School (Christiana), 1872-1883

HARD START SCHOOL 1872-1883 was located in Christiana. It was built behind the present Church of Christ on the knob where Uncle Sandy Murray’s house later stood. It was across from the present Brandon View Baptist Church on Miller Road. Judge Tiliman Davis Johnson, born January 8, 1858, has this…

Continue reading

Rock Spring School (Midland), 1871-1915

ROCK SPRING SCHOOL 1871-1915 was founded “a long time” before J. P. “Pet” Gordon started school in 1871 and closed at the end of the 1914-1915 school term. It was located on Rock Spring Road which runs west of the Murfreesboro-Shelbyville Highway. On March 6, 1874, James M. Holden signed…

Continue reading

City Council to discuss takeover of Historic Bradley Academy

The Murfreesboro Post, July 29, 2015 The City Council is set to consider a memorandum of understanding Thursday with the Bradley Academy Historical Association transferring operation and management of the historical building to city government. This story has been updated. To view the original version, please click here. The City…

Continue reading

Milton School, 1934-1956

MILTON SCHOOL 1934-1956 was located on the north east corner of the intersection of State 96 and the North Milton Road. It was on the same property as had been the MILTON SEMINARY. The red brick building was built for both elementary and secondary grades but was never used as…

Continue reading

Salem Academy or Seminary, 1887-1902

SALEM ACADEMY or SEMINARY 1887-1902 was on the north side of the Salem Road just east of the intersection of that road and the present Kimbro Road. On June 30, 1887, William H. Windrow and Frazier Kimbro sold for $50 each a parcel of land consisting of one acre each.…

Continue reading