Floraton School (Kittrell), 1980s-1912

FLORATON SCHOOL 1890’s-c 1912 was located on the west side of Rock Hill Road, later called Kittrell Road, between the Bradyville and Woodbury Roads. Locally the school was called “POSSUM TROT.” The school and community were named after Flora, the daughter of William Travis. Although the school was in operation…

Continue reading

Seed Tick School (Fosterville), Antebellum

SEED TICK before Civil War was located on the north side of Camp Ground Road about one-fourth mile west of its intersection with the Shelbyville Pike. It is on the Beers Map of 1878. The property was later owned by Bob Edwards and Tom Cook. The building was a one-room…

Continue reading

Beech Grove High School, 1900-1963

BEECH GROVE HIGH SCHOOL 1900-1963 was on the west side of State Road 8, the old Manchester Turnpike, and about .75 miles south of Beech Grove in Coffee County. William Jacobs deeded three acres of land to the Coffee County Board of Education for a school. Materials from the BEECHGROVE…

Continue reading

Murray High School (Bradyville), 1920-1952

MURRAY HIGH SCHOOL c1920-1952 was on the north side of the Bradyville Pike at the intersection of the Murray-Kittrell Road. On January 22, 1921, the Rutherford County Board of Education signed a deed for 4.5 acres of land at $100-per-acre from J.. W. McCrary and wife Sallie, L. L. McCrary…

Continue reading

Gravel Hill School, 1870s-1895

GRAVEL HILL 1870’s-1895 was between Rock Spring and Midland on Midland Dirt Road, the old stage route from Murfreesboro to Shelbyville. It joined the Will Holden place in the 14th District and was about 1/2 mile north of Midland on the east side of the road. The name W. N.…

Continue reading

Rosenwald Schools

October 16, 2008 Rosenwald Schools “Between 1912 and 1932, the Rosenwald school building program constructed over five thousand new learning environments for African American school children in fifteen southern states, including fourteen in Rutherford County.  The program was funded by Sears, Roebuck and Company president Julius Rosenwald and Booker T.…

Continue reading

Restoration is under way on 1800s-era schoolhouse

Doug Davis, The Tennessean, July 4, 2008 Adjoining log home is part of the project An 1800s brink home that once housed the Eliza Ransom Private School is, after years of neglect, undergoing a restoration. “It’s coming along, yes siree”, said a jubilant C.B. Arnette, who has been spearheading the…

Continue reading