Woodlawn Academy (Versailles), 1888-1917

WOODLAWN ACADEMY 1888-c 1917 was more commonly known as GARRETTS or GARRETT SCHOOL. It was located two miles south of the Versailles store in Civil District 10, School District 37, and was on the west side of Versailles Road between the intersections of the Leb and Link Roads. Thomas Washington…

Continue reading

Holloway High School (Black), 1929-1968

HOLLOWAY HIGH SCHOOL BLACK 1929-1968 was built on the east side of South Highland Street. It was dedicated in December 1929 and was named in honor of E. C. Holloway who worked for the establishment of the school. The school served both city and county students. On April 27, 1929,…

Continue reading

The Female Academy, 1825-1891

The FEMALE ACADEMY 1825-1891 was located on the east side of Depot Street opposite the Methodist Church, presently Maple Street opposite the building of the Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation. According to the SOULE COLLEGE historical marker, the FEMALE ACADEMY was organized by Mary and Nancy Banks, teachers. F. N.…

Continue reading

Eagleville Male and Female Academy, 1877-1884

EAGLEVILLE MALE AND FEMALE SCHOOL or ACADEMY 1877-1884, called EAGLEVILLE INSTITUTE on the Beers Map of 1878, was on ‘Pig Alley’ which ran east off the present 41A Highway. It was next to the Baptist Church. The street is now Church Street. On December 24, 1877, Chesley Williams sold one…

Continue reading

Crichlow Grammar School, 1922-1968

CRICHLOW GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1922-1968 was located in Murfreesboro at 400 North Maple Street on the site of the old MURFREESBORO FEMALE ACADEMY and across the street from the present MTEMC building. In 1919, John Charles Mitchell, City School Superintendent, remodeled the old MURFREESBORO PUBLIC SCHOOL OR MAPLE STREET GRAMMAR SCHOOL,…

Continue reading

Morton School (Black), early 1900s

MORTON SCHOOL BLACK early 1900’s was on the east side of the present day Armstrong Valley Road and across from Ed Todd’s farm. A lane next to Rob Haynes’ farm led about 1/4 mile to the school. The Beers Map of 1878 shows the name W. H. Morton as owner…

Continue reading

Raikes was ‘Greatest Bulldog Ever’

Smyrna High School towers as a beacon on Bulldog Drive where my children Katherine and Michael Harber both graduated. The advent of Robert ‘Bud’ Raikes is a longstanding and storied chapter of time. Robert was a win-win leader for the advancing school for 52 monumental years. He served as prime…

Continue reading

Central High School, 1919-1944

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL 1919-1944 was located on the westside of North Maple Street where the MTEMC (ed. 1986 this was the location of the Middle Tennessee Electric Membership, 2020 current location of Murfreesboro Housing Authority) building now stands. On February 9, 1917, the city and county jointly bought the old…

Continue reading

Dromgoole School (Christiana) 1865

DROMGOOLE SCHOOL 1865 was located east of Rucker Road and west of the Stones River. G. Dromgoole is on the 1878 Beers Map as being a landowner on Road 476. Federal Judge Tillman Johnson wrote: “The teacher George Dromgoole opened a school in a room in his residence about two…

Continue reading