May 21, 1908 Goldstein’s ad

May 21, 1908, ‘The News Banner’, Murfreesboro, Tennessee The ‘News Banner’ was in business in Murfreesboro from 1899-1931.  The News Banner was formed when The Murfreesboro News and the Independent Banner merged in 1899.  

Continue reading

The Peddler

Sadie Fowler, VIP Murfreesboro, September 5, 2018 More than 45 years ago two local women put their heads together to talk business, and what unfolded has been a Murfreesboro icon ever since — it’s called The Peddler, for short. Jane Jones and Mary Ann Richardson, both Rutherford County natives, met…

Continue reading

The Old Haynes Hotel

Frank Caperton, Rutherford County Historical Society, September 4, 2018 “Mink Slide to Main Street”, C.B. Arnette, Page 181, printed 1991 Ed. note:  The Haynes Hotel was constructed in the early 1890s, razed 1958 to make way for the new Penney Plaza. The last property in the block was the Haynes…

Continue reading

Office space study for the Square splits commission

Scott Broden, The Daily News Journal, March 17, 2017 A divided Rutherford County Commission approved a $50,000 planning study Thursday to evaluate existing government offices in the downtown Square area of Murfreesboro. Commissioner Charlie Baum was among those in the minority of a 12-7 vote that authorizes the county to…

Continue reading

Woodshed will open September 18 (1965)

The Daily News Journal, September 16, 2018 Smyrna’s smart new restaurant with the intriguing name ‘The Woodshed’ will be formally opened to the public on Saturday and Sunday.  Restaurant hours are 7AM till 10PM. A hint as to what the visitor may expect of the unusual interior decor of the…

Continue reading

Murfreesboro City Hall

Page 13, ‘Pictures and the Stories they Tell’, by Frank Caperton and Susan Daniel, 2008 The old Murfreesboro City Hall and Fire Hall was located on the corner of South Church and Vine Street till razed in the early 1940’s to make way for the expansion of Murfreesboro’s Goldstein’s Department Store.…

Continue reading

Beware the curse of Davis’ Market

The Murfreesboro Post, August 29, 2010 There are many legends surrounding it.  Many who have been around Murfreesboro for long know at least one of them, but no one, not even the owners, have any idea where they sprang from. It is the legend or the curse, some might say,…

Continue reading