De Jarnett School (Barfield), 1883-1893

DE JARNETT SCHOOL 1883 – c 1893 was on the east side of the West Fork of Stones River and on the north side of the road that runs from Barfield to the Shelbyville Highway. The name De Jarnett on the 1878 Beers Map shows the location of the farm.…

Continue reading

Barfield Baptist Heralds 122 Years of Active Ministry

On November 15, 2020, Barfield Baptist Church realized a dream come true, as they celebrated a new expansive building at 550 Veterans Parkway in their new sanctuary. Today we will reflect on the earliest history of this special congregation. The hub of Barfield in primitive days included a general store,…

Continue reading

Central Academy (Barfield), 1887-1913

CENTRAL ACADEMY 1887-1913 was on the Midland Road about 1/2 mile north of the place where Panther Creek crosses the road. It was on the west side of the present Armstrong Valley Road just after its intersection with the Barfield-Crescent Road. On June 39, 1887, for the sum of fifty…

Continue reading

Barfield School, 1913-1958

BARFIELD SCHOOL 1913-1958 was in the 11th District. In October 27, 1913, T. B. Yeargan, Trustee, sold for $1 four acres of land for the school on the Barfield and Crescent Road at the intersection of the road leading east tothe Shelbyville Road. The frame building, erected under the direction…

Continue reading

Farris Chapel School (Barfield), 1880-1914

FARRIS CHAPEL SCHOOL 1880-c 1914 was held in the Farris Chapel in Barfield next to the Barfield store. It was known simly as the “BRICK CHURCH SCHOOL” at Barfield. John Farris in 1880 built Farris Chapel as a Methodist Church which for a time was used also by the Baptist…

Continue reading

Crescent School, 1922-1937

CRESCENT SCHOOL 1922-1937 was on the west side of the Barfield-Crescent Road and about 1/2 mile north of the intersection of this road and Armstrong Valley Road. It was north of the Crescent Church of Christ. On November 11, 1922, Sam J. Overall and wife Dossie Pearl acknowledged a deed…

Continue reading

Knight School (Barfield), 1893 – ?

KNIGHT SCHOOL 1893- was on the southwest corner of the intersection of Barfield Road and the Shelbyville Highway. Because of the interest that James M. Knight had “in the education of the white children of his neighborhood,” he sold one on acre for one dollar for as long as there…

Continue reading

Halliburton School, 1860s

HALLIBURTON SCHOOL 1860’s was in the Rucker Community. The 1878 Beers Map shows it to have been on the south side of the Rucker Road just east of the railroad. The school was held in a residence owned by the Halliburtons who had a spare room. The teacher was “a…

Continue reading

Webb’s Chapel (Black) Barfield, late 1910s

WEBBS CHAPEL BLACK (late 1910’s) was on the west side of the Barfield-Crescent Road near the Webbs Chapel Methodist Church. The frame building had one room. Mattie Butler Bracey was a teacher here after she taught at MORTON SCHOOL in about 1913. When the school was torn down, classes were…

Continue reading