“Unconstitutional” 231 School Had Short History

Frow Chips, March/April, 2021, Greg Tucker, Rutherford County Historian In 1962, eight years after the U. S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that segregated education was unconstitutional, the Rutherford County school system opened a new segregated school facility on U. S. Highway 231 South. The all black faculty taught black students…

Continue reading

Cross Lanes School (Christiana) 1868-1908

CROSS LANES SCHOOL, sometimes called CROSS ROADS and KATY’S ACADEMY f 1. 1868-1908, was located about four miles southeast of Christiana on the south side of Wayside Road at its intersection with Woodfin and Sledge Roads. Judge Tillman Davis Johnson wrote in his “Memoirs”: “During that same period I went…

Continue reading

Dromgoole School (Christiana) 1865

DROMGOOLE SCHOOL 1865 was located east of Rucker Road and west of the Stones River. G. Dromgoole is on the 1878 Beers Map as being a landowner on Road 476. Federal Judge Tillman Johnson wrote: “The teacher George Dromgoole opened a school in a room in his residence about two…

Continue reading

231 School (Black), Christiana, 1962-1967

The 231 SCHOOL BLACK 1962-1967 was on the east side of U.S. 231. It was eight miles south of Murfreesboro. C. C. Ellis and wife May S. sold land to the Rutherford County School Commission in a deed dated August 16, 1961; Earl White and wife Christine, in a deed…

Continue reading

Christiana School (Black)

CHRISTIANA SCHOOL BLACK 1890-1918 was in Christiana on the north side of the present Miller Street and across from the home of Joe McCrary. The land was given by Martha Miller for as long as it was used for school purposes. Parents of the school children constructed the one-room building.…

Continue reading

Christiana High School, 1931-1971

CHRISTIANA HIGH SCHOOL 1931-1971 was built east of the old school, on the south side of Church Street, and across from the Church of Christ. The Rutherford County Board of Education bought four and 1/2 acres from J. G. Sugg and wife, three acres from A. J. Brandon, both parcels…

Continue reading

Clark’s School, (Christiana), 1896-1931

CLARK’S SCHOOL, 1896-1931, sometimes called SHORT CREEK SCHOOL, was located on Short Creek Road which turns east off the Christiana-Bell Buckle Road and crossed a ford over the Short Creek. About two or three hundred yards across the ford and on the north side of the road was the first…

Continue reading

Hickory Grove School, 1848-1912

HICKORY GROVE 1848-before 1912 was located 2.5 miles south of Christiana on the east side of the railroad tracks. The site is indicated on the 1878 Beers Map. A deed registered on September 18, 1848, shows that Erismus C. Lynch gave five acres and water rights for a school and…

Continue reading

Christiana School, 1908-1931

CHRISTIANA SCHOOL 1908-1931 was located on the south side of the present Church Street, the main street in Christiana. On June 13, 1908, Charlie Anderson Gordon and wife sold to the Rutherford County Board of Education 1/2 acre with a house, formerly owned by R. O. Hale, for $500. The…

Continue reading