Glorianna School, 1900-1941

GLORIANNA SCHOOL 1900-1941 was on the Wilson side of the Rutherford-Wilson County line with the playground on the Rutherford side. It was on the north side of the Oregon Road and three miles east of the Cainesville Pike. The GLORIANNA SCHOOL took the place of the OREGON SCHOOL. E. S.…

Continue reading

Milton Seminary (aka Milton Academy), 1857-1956

MILTON SEMINARY or MILTON MALE AND FEMALE SEMINARY 1857-1956 is shown on the Beers Map of 1878. It was on the northeast corner of State Road 96 and the North Milton Road. By 1850 William Byrn, Green Byrn, and Enoch Jones contracted with the Rev. Jared Warren, a Baptist preacher…

Continue reading

Oregon School, 1860-1900

OREGON SCHOOL 1860’s-1900 was a Wilson-Rutherford County line school with both teachers and students from the two counties. It was about two and one half miles east of the old Cainesville tollgate and on the old Rhodes farm later owned by R. L. Howard. The schoolhouse was a log building.…

Continue reading

Porterfield School, 1888-1939

PORTERFIELD SCHOOL 1888-1939, known at first as PORTERFIELD NORMAL ACADEMY, was erected on land given by a McKnight. J. A. Dement and Amziah McKnight, aided by other men in the community, built the school. It was located on the old Hall’s Hill Pike between Hall’s Hill and Milton and on…

Continue reading

Twelve Corners School, 1860-1937

TWELVE CORNERS SCHOOL 1860’s-1937 was located at the intersection of the Twelve Corners Road and the Bradley Creek Road. The church, called Bradley’s Creek Church, the graveyard, and later the school occupied thethree corners of the intersection. The church is on the 1878 Beers Map. During the Civil War, the…

Continue reading

Medling School, 1894-1900

MEDLING SCHOOL 1894-c1900 was on the west side of North Milton Road which runs north off State Road 96. The school was just north of the intersection of North Milton Road and Givens Road. Students from both Rutherford and Wilson Counties attended the school. The schoolhouse was a one-teacher, one-room,…

Continue reading

Halls Hill School, 1906-1929

HALL’S HILL SCHOOL 1906-1929 was at Hall’s Hill on the south side of the Murfreesboro-Hall’s Hill Road. On September 22, 1906, T. H. Wright and wife Jodie D. and J. R. Stroop and wife Lottie B. signed a deed to school directors of the 53rd School District for two acres…

Continue reading

Ewingville School, 1899-1926

EWINGSVILLE SCHOOL 1899-1925 or 1926 was on the North Milton Road just across the Rutherford County line in Wilson County. Students from both counties attended the school. EWINGSVILLE was first a one-teacher and then a two teacher school. Known teachers were Hannibal Jennings, Quixanna Cook, and Herman Rhodes. Maynard Knight…

Continue reading

Brown’s School (Black), 1888-1949

BROWNS SCHOOL BLACK 1888-1949, sometimes called ANTNEY BROWN SCHOOL, was in the woods east of TWELVE CORNERS. There was no road to the school. The site today would be at the dead end of Ball Park Road which runs north off Ruel McKnight Road which in turn runs north offState…

Continue reading

Milton School, 1934-1956

MILTON SCHOOL 1934-1956 was located on the north east corner of the intersection of State 96 and the North Milton Road. It was on the same property as had been the MILTON SEMINARY. The red brick building was built for both elementary and secondary grades but was never used as…

Continue reading