Rockvale Public School, 1910-1927

ROCKVALE PUBLIC SCHOOL 1910-1927 was located halfway between Concord and Rockvale and was a consolidation of the two schools. The school was built on the west side of State Road 99 on the present campus. It opened as ROCKVALE CONSOLIDATED HIGH SCHOOL on Sept. 10, 1910 and finished the year…

Continue reading

Rockvale School, 1874-1910

The first known ROCKVALE SCHOOL -c 1874 was a subscription school held in a two-story frame building believed to have been near the old telephone office. School quarters were on the lower floor; the upper floor was the Masonic Hall. Records of a school in the area date back to…

Continue reading

Jackson Ridge School (Rockvale), 1890-1913

The JACKSON RIDGE SCHOOL 1890-c 1913 was located about two miles northwest of Versailles on the Jackson Ridge road. On August 13, 1890, T. L. Hendrix and wife deeded 151/160 acre of and for a school. The site was adjacent to the G. W. Burns or Ivey Phillips Burns farm…

Continue reading

Rockvale High School, 1927-1972

ROCKVALE HIGH SCHOOL 1927-1972 was on the same site as the former frame building. The new brick building was constructed in an “H” shape with an auditorium, an office, and a small library forming the horizontal bar of the “H.” Three classrooms were located in each wing. There were, in…

Continue reading

Taylor School (Rockvale), 1874-1911

TAYLOR SCHOOL 1874-1911 was a district school on the north side of Columbia Road, now Mt. Pleasant Road, about one half mile west of the intersection of that road and Hant Hollow Road. On August 4, 1874, Nathaniel R. Taylor, son of Vincent Taylor, signed a gift deed to the…

Continue reading

Rockvale School (Black) 1870-1936

ROCKVALE SCHOOL BLACK 1870-1936 or 1937 was on the west side of Versailles Road about one hundred yards south of the Rockvale Store. On May 24, 1870, Francis Jackson gave one acre of land to the School for Colored People, Church of God, or African Branch of the M. E.…

Continue reading

Wray’s School (Rockvale), 1880-1924

WRAY’S SCHOOL fl. 1880’s-1924 was located in the community of Snell. The school was first on a dirt road about one-half mile south of the old Franklin dirt road and just west of the present Coleman Hill Road. It was built in a wooded area on land owned by Thomas…

Continue reading