The Kittrell Comunity

THE HISTORY OF KITTRELL, by Mary Hall, 1984 Kittrell is located seven miles east of Murfreesboro on Highway 70 S, which was the original Stage Coach Road from Knoxville to Nashville. It was named for Major Marion B. Kittrell, who was born in Wilson County, July 17, 1820.  He married Ellen Johnston on January…

Continue reading

Grantlands

Middle Tennessee State University, Spring 2011 Explorations in Public History Class In the dawning years of the 1800s, the Murfree family built Grantlands, a beautiful antebellum mansion and estate on over 1,000 acres of land in Rutherford County, Tennessee.  By 1863, the plantation was in ruins, the house was destroyed, and the area was…

Continue reading

House finds a new home

Greg Campbell, The Daily News Journal, May 22, 1983 Time, weather and vandals were taking a toll on a stately house on East Main Street, most often called the ‘old Elrod House.’ After developers bought the 1.5 acre site at 926 East Main Street, the house itself was given to…

Continue reading

Arnette Family hands over keys to Ransom School

Thanks to the generosity of the heirs of late author and Murfreesboro historian C.B. Arnette, the Rutherford County Historical Society has a new home. Cheryl Arnette Sommardahl, C.B.’s daughter, handed the keys to the refurbished Ransom School to members of the Rutherford County Historical Society at the structure on Academy…

Continue reading

J.N. Puckett Store, Eagleville, Tennessee

By Don McCord and Bobbie Sue Shelton, ‘Eagville’ At the intersection of Highway 99 and Mt. Pleasant Road (present day) was a community that was established first as ‘Needmore’.  There was a general store on the north side of the road opposite the Puckett Store of later years.  The grocery…

Continue reading

Held for Ransom

Murfreesboro Post, July 27, 2010 Long, overgrown blades of grass reach for the sky as they creep in around the sides of the small dilapidated domicile. Warped sheets of plywood struggle to stay wedged in old window frames, the only barriers to the outside elements. Sad red bricks sag from…

Continue reading

Looking Back: Allen Chapel Church still strong

August 30, 2009, Mike West, The Murfreesboro Post Allen Chapel is named in honor of Richard Allen, the founding father of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Murfreesboro’s oldest black congregation was established by newly freed men and freed women in 1866 in the early months of Reconstruction. The beginnings of…

Continue reading

Tour of Old Jefferson

October 25, 2008 Jefferson native Toby Francis gave a tour to a large group of local history enthusiasts October 25 (2008). The weather was wonderful as more than two dozen local history enthusiasts.

Continue reading