Milton School, 1934-1956

MILTON SCHOOL 1934-1956 was located on the north east corner of the intersection of State 96 and the North Milton Road. It was on the same property as had been the MILTON SEMINARY. The red brick building was built for both elementary and secondary grades but was never used as…

Continue reading

Jefferson: Gone but not forgotten

Brian Wilson, Daily News Journal, March 30, 2015 (Please click here to visit the Society’s page regarding Old Jefferson and Jefferson Springs) SMYRNA — Old Jefferson, the first county seat in Rutherford County and literally taken off the map 50 years ago, is the subject of a Rutherford County Archives…

Continue reading

Salem Academy or Seminary, 1887-1902

SALEM ACADEMY or SEMINARY 1887-1902 was on the north side of the Salem Road just east of the intersection of that road and the present Kimbro Road. On June 30, 1887, William H. Windrow and Frazier Kimbro sold for $50 each a parcel of land consisting of one acre each.…

Continue reading

Fosterville High School, 1903-1928

FOSTERVILLE HIGH SCHOOL 1903-1928 was at first a private or subscription school and then a public junior high school. The school was on the east side of the railroad tracks, across from the depot, behind the Presbyterian Church and Mrs. Alice Hoover’s house. This school was a consolidation of the…

Continue reading

Lee Jacobs School, (Hoovers Gap) 1915-1940

LEE JACOBS SCHOOL 1915-1940 was on the east side of the Manchester Highway just south of the intersection of Fox Hollow Road. On August 20, 1915, Lee Jacobs and wife Lightie Hoover deeded 2.5 acres of land to the Rutherford County Board of Education. Presently the site is behind theold…

Continue reading

Hoovers Gap Academy, 1872-1897

HOOVERS GAP ACADEMY 1872-fl. 1897 was at the intersection of Hoovers Gap Road and the Manchester Highway. It was on the east side of the Manchester Highway on a hill across from the Methodist Church. It was not far from a Civil War trench and a spring of water. The…

Continue reading

Fosterville High School (Black) 1897-1947

FOSTERVILLE SCHOOL BLACK 1897-1947 was located on the east side of the U.S. 231 Highway between Christiana and Fosterville. It was on the first knob north of the Midland Road, just south of the present Faulk’s sawmill, and across from the home of the Fraziers and Braceys. The land was…

Continue reading

Flat Rock School (Black), 1878-1920s

FLAT ROCK BLACK 1878-1920’s was located about one mile east of Midland on the south side of Midland to U.S. 231 Highway. The site is shown on the 1878 Beers Map. Mr. Jim M. Williams, a school director and operator of the store at the Midland crossroads, provided the building.…

Continue reading

Webb’s Chapel (Black) Barfield, late 1910s

WEBBS CHAPEL BLACK (late 1910’s) was on the west side of the Barfield-Crescent Road near the Webbs Chapel Methodist Church. The frame building had one room. Mattie Butler Bracey was a teacher here after she taught at MORTON SCHOOL in about 1913. When the school was torn down, classes were…

Continue reading

The Kittrell Comunity

THE HISTORY OF KITTRELL, by Mary Hall, 1984 Kittrell is located seven miles east of Murfreesboro on Highway 70 S, which was the original Stage Coach Road from Knoxville to Nashville. It was named for Major Marion B. Kittrell, who was born in Wilson County, July 17, 1820.  He married Ellen Johnston on January…

Continue reading