Easter Morning, First Presbyterian Church, 1980’s

Frank Caperton, Rutherford County Historical Society First Presbyterian Church held an Easter service in the streets on the corner of North Spring and East College at some point in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The three story building in the upper left hand corner of this pic is the…

Continue reading

1924 Central High School ‘Craddock’ Annual

President Frank Caperton, Central Magnet School, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, March 23, 2018 You know, I love sharing how everyday is like Christmas when leading a group of local historians such as the Rutherford County Historical Society. Last summer (2017), the RCHS was blessed with going through the vast collection of former…

Continue reading

2018 Show & Tell at Carriage Lane Reception House

Monday, March 19, 2018, Carriage Lane Reception House, Murfreesboro, TN We may have set a new attendance record for 2018 Show & Tell!  more than 50 local historians shared some of the most interesting artifacts you can imagine. Soda bottles, washing machine, dental instruments – even ‘hair wreaths’. A little…

Continue reading

Jack Daniel’s and Black History Month

Fawn Weaver, The Daily News Journal, February 4, 2018 Black History Month is about honoring the great African- American men and women who came before us. It is also a great time to honor the honorable men and women who stood beside us when they could have turned their backs…

Continue reading

2017 – What an Exciting Year!

Frank Caperton, President, Rutherford County Historical Society Hello Local Historians! Wow – has 2017 been a great year for the Rutherford County Historical Society or what!  Our growth has been unprecedented with the addition of more than 100 memberships.  Our ‘Coffee & Conversation’ each Saturday morning continues to be well…

Continue reading

Rutherford County Historian Greg Tucker talks of December 1946

Rutherford County Historian Greg Tucker gives a brief ‘history lesson’ each month at the Murfreesboro (Tennessee) City Council meeting. Movies were closed on Sundays in 1946.  That is till the returning vets convinced the Princess and the Roxy otherwise. Young & Ogles Lumber Yard, Ransom Cotton Gin and Murfreesboro Electric…

Continue reading