Elam Mill

Dr. Thomas Jefferson Elam (great grandfather of Ed ‘Sonny‘ Elam) was the surgeon for the 45th Tennessee (Confederate) during the Civil War.  After the war he returned to the Rucker Community to continue his medical practice and raise his eight children with wife Elizabeth Snell Elam.  He opened the original…

Continue reading

Nice’s Mill

Between Murfreesboro and Smyrna, just to the east of today’s US Hwy. 41 (Nashville Hwy.) sits Nice’s Mill.  Nice’s Mill was once known as Ward‘s Mill.  Mr. J.E. Nice, Sr. and son J.E. Nice, Jr. came to Rutherford County from Coffee County circa 1923 and purchased Ward‘s Mill near the…

Continue reading

Old Log Home on Old Nashville Hwy.

This old log home is located just south of the Stones River United Methodist Church on the Old Nashville Hwy., and approximately 1/3 of a mile north of the historic entrance to the Stones River National Battlefield.      

Continue reading

Loafer’s Rest, Smyrna, TN

This photo was taken looking southeast, towards Murfreesboro down old Highway 41 (Old Nashville Hwy.) near the intersection of of Rock Springs Road.  Note the white sign in the right side of Old Nashville Hwy., “Sam Davis Home’.

Continue reading

Small town soldier has big impact

The Murfreesboro Post, May 31, 2016 The Tucker family moved to Rutherford County in the 1930s, settling in La Vergne.  Clifford Tucker, the son of a farrier (blacksmith), lived out his adolescent years in the Jefferson Pike area – at that point, only a couple of homes had been built…

Continue reading

Smyrna’s Sewart Air Force Base Highway Dedication

Frank Caperton, May 30, 2016, the Old Sewart Air Force Base It was hot and breezy this Memorial Day, still the festivities contained warmth and memories as approximately 150 people gathered to dedicate a portion of Sam Ridley Blvd. in Smyrna (TN) as the Sewart Air Force Base Highway.

Continue reading