Skatecenter of Murfreesboro

Daily News Journal, March 31, 1989 Mid-State Roller Rink began operation in Rutherford County on April 1, 1955. It was located on Lascassas Hwy. (now the Old Lascassas Hwy.) in a 5,000 square foot building located at the intersection of Northfield Blvd and Old Lascassas Hwy. One June 6, 1960,…

Continue reading

Rutherford painfully aware of heritage

John McGlone, The Daily News Journal, March 31, 1989 Commentary from Dr. John McGlone, Middle Tennessee State University Southerners are acutely – sometimes painfully – aware of their heritage, and Rutherford Countians are no exception. The 30th century is often perceived as too crowded, fast-paced, stressful and less genteel, while…

Continue reading

State Farm Insurance Regional Office

Frank Caperton, April 2, 2019 State Farm Insurance has maintained a regional office in Murfreesboro since 1954. The following is a pamphlet that was distributed by the Data Processing department as a memento at the grand opening of the ‘new’ State Farm regional office location at 2500 Memorial Blvd., October…

Continue reading

Captain William Lytle Dedication

Lytle Cemetery, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, March 22, 2019 The Captain William Lytle Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution conducted a dedication ceremony commemorating a DAR marker for Captain William Lytle. Perhaps as many as 200 people attended the festivities held at the Lytle Family Cemetery, located next door to…

Continue reading

2019 Show & Tell

Oaklands Mansion, March, 18, 2019 Wow – what to say about the 2019 edition of the annual RCHS Show & Tell. More than fifty local history enthusiasts enjoyed a meal provided by Carriage Lane Reception House on the grounds of the historic Oaklands Mansion. The evening saw volksmarching sticks, rail…

Continue reading

Colgate Princess Doll Offer

The Daily News Journal, September 27, 1951 You know, it wasn’t too awfully long ago companies made offerings to entice customers new and old to purchase their product. Duz Detergent and their free glasses, jelly jars used as table glasses, and many,many more. Look at all the locally owned grocers…

Continue reading

Renault Dealership in Murfreesboro?

Murfreesboro Import Motors was operated by J.D. Tyner and A.R. Dyer at 612 West College Street (present day 610 Building and Todd Janitorial Service) approximately from March or 1959 till August of 1962. Note: You had to be married AND sober to sell Renault cars at Murfreesboro Import Motors…

Continue reading