CAINSVILLE SCHOOL before 1886-c 1941 was located on the west side of Cainsville Pike just over the Rutherford-Wilson County line. It was on the farm of Thomas Lillard Huddleston who gave the land for as long as there was a school. Both Wilson and Rutherford County students attended the school.
The one-room building was weatherboarded and painted white. There were two doors, one at the front and one at the side of the back. In the school yard was a large oak tree to which Elsie Knox, a teacher, hitched her horse and “no-top” buggy.
Two teachers, one in the front and one in the back, taught in the one-room school in 1892. Those teachers were Elsie Ivie and Tom Morgan from Texas.
Lockie Wilkinson taught in about 1916. Elsie Knox was teacher for five years including the year 1917-1918. During the fall of that year, the enrollment was so high that a sister, Dana Knox, assisted. Another teacher remembered at CAINSVILLE was Mildred Dement Smith.
When the school closed, the land reverted to Jerry P. Blankenship who had bought the land while the school was still in session.
SOURCES: Interview, June 6, 1984, with Clarence Preston Blankenship, b. 1886, son of J. P. Blankenship and a student at CAINSVILLE 1892-1894. Hector F. Adams. *Elsie Knox, b. 1893. *Cuma Lee Odom.
HAYES SCHOOL f1. 1860’s-1899 was between Twelve Corners and Lofton and was on Rhodes Lane, now Jim Allen Road. It was on the property of Dave Crouse about one mile off Cainsville Pike. A Mrs. D. Crouse is shown on the Beer’s Map of 1878.
The school was a one-teacher, frame building. Willie Dement is the only known teacher.
Alfonzo B. Hill, b. November 1859, was an early student. Family names of students included Hill, Crouse, Burnett, Greer, Craddock, and Williams.
In addition to basic subjects.at HAYES SCHOOL, music was taught. Alfonzo took lessons in voice.
The school was torn down in 1899, and the students went to TWELVE CORNERS SCHOOL.
SOURCES: Interview, March 11, 1983, with Addie Hill, daughter of Alfonzo B. Hill. Addie was born in 1899, the year the school was torn down. Hector F. Adams.