CARTER’S CHAPEL SCHOOL BLACK 1878-about 1916 was on the east side of Cripple Creek Road, about one-fourth mile north of Donnell’s Chapel which was on the Bradyville Road.
It was next to Carter’s Chapel Baptist Church. Jim Carter gave the land for the school, the site of which is shown on the Beers Map of 1878.
The school was a one-room frame building.
Among the teachers were Georgia Barton, who in about 1912 taught her first school; and Frank Knight, who was the last teacher.
Children by the names of Taylor and Lyon were students.
CARTER’S CHAPEL SCHOOL was torn down about 1916 when Frank Lowe was about 15 years old.
SOURCES: Interviews, March 1, 1983, with Frank Lowe, b. May 23, 1901, d. Dec. 27, 1983. He was the son of Seemus Lowe; Dec. 8, 1983, with Willie Mai Dunn, b. 1900, who was a fdºth1 of Georgia Barton and sometimes attended the church.