EAGLEVILLE HIGH SCHOOL 1915-1923 was moved in 1915 to its present location on the south side of State Road 99 and about one-fourth mile east of its intersection with 41A.
On July 22, 1912, J. E. Sullivan and wife Emma, J. D. Sullivan, Robert Sullivan, and H. W. Sullivan had signed a deed for the sale of five acres of land to the Rutherford County High School Board Eaqleville.
The two-story building was of concrete and stucco. Classrooms were on the main floor. The Smith-Hughes Act provided teachers for the home economics and agriculture classes which met in the basement.
Principals in this building were John D. Wiseman, an attorney later in Nashville, J. D. McFarlin, Frank Jarrell, Kenneth Warren, Frank Hines, Clyde Richards, and J. J. Northcott.
Among the teachers of this school were W. L. Foster, Mary Owen, Mrs. Scott Williams, Mary Dudley Williams, Mary Murphy, and Maye Leming, who taught home economics. Robbie Kelley taught in the Methodist Church and Annie Crowell, in the Church of Christ when the school burned.
Pupils continued to graduate from the tenth grade until a third year of high school was added in 1920. The school became a four-year high school in 1921. That year there were two graduates.
In the year the school became a four-year high school, Dr. E. L. Williams was Board member, A. P. Elmore and Jim Taylor were the magistrates, and Neal Elrod was County School Superintendent. J. J. Northcott was principal.
In August 1923, two days after the opening of school the building burned. Classes were held in churches during that year. By the fall of 1924, the new brick building was ready for occupancy.
SOURCES: Deed Book 54, p. 620. *Minnie Fairfield Dyer, History of Ealev–lle Dyer, 1972. “‘Big Eagle’ Was Source of Name,’ The Daily News Journal, Nov. 13, 1963, p. 9. *Mrs. U. R. Elmore. *Margaret Scott. *Vera Covington.
Interview, April 25, 1985, with Pearl Tucker, b. 1892, a student.