LA VERGNE PREPARATORY SCHOOL early 1890’s-Nov. 1, 1900 was behind what was later called the “Rock Store” which now houses the Glass Contractors of Tennessee. It was on the northeast side of the present Waldron Road, just south of the railway overpass, and across from the LA VERGNE ACADEMY.
The school for boys had a combination school building and dormitory. Professors Allen and Wallace headed the school which was sometimes known as the ALLEN AND WALLACE SCHOOL FOR BOYS.
Dick Alexander and White Alexander, students, are shown in a group picture taken in front of the LA VERGNE ACADEMY.
The school was blown away by a tornado, Nov. 1, 1900.
SOURCES: Hoover, pp. 277, 280. Shirley Chaney, “La Vergne” RCHS, Pub. no. 6, Winter 1976. Shirlie Chaney, “Log Schools First Served La Vergne Area,” The Daily News Journal, Nov. 13, 1963, p. 6. Interviews, February 28, 1985, with John L. Buchanan, who now owns property across the road from the former school; Oct. 10, 1985, with Mary Sutton Mason, whose husband, William A. Mason, Jr., was the nephew of Dick and White Alexander.