LAWRENCE CHAPEL SCHOOL BLACK 1898-1936, was located between Salem and Windrow. It was on the north side of Windrow Road just before Windrow Hill and behind the John Haynes’ house. It was in the vicinity of LEATHERS SCHOOL.
On August 17, 1898, W. T. Haynes and wife N. A. deeded five acres for a school in the 45th school district. The school was bounded by T. J. Vaughan and John Haynes who gave road access to property owners behind his house. The school was held in the Lawrence Chapel M. E. Methodist
Teachers were Mrs. Mattie Winnett Nelson, John Haynes, Alfred Alexander, Annie Watkins Huddleston, and a Hartwell.
About thirty children attended the school. Family names were Haynes, Smith, Lawrence, Jordan, Osborn, Lytle, Simmons, Perks, King, and Carney.
SOURCES: Deed Book , p. 531. Rutherford County, Superintendent’s Office, School Records under “Lawrence.” Interviews, Feb. 26, 1984, with Medicus Ransom Haynes, b. June 6, 1895, d. April 11, 1984. He was a student; Dec. 29, 1984, with Odell Hendrix Leathers; Aug. 19, 1984, with Thomas Alvin
Jarrett, b. 1904, student in 1914. *R. T. Butler, Jr., d. April 5, 1986.