County gears up for its 205th birthday

Michelle Willard, The Murfreesboro Post, September 8, 2008 Living history events planned for October As Rutherford County prepares to celebrate its 205th birthday in October, the Heritage Partnership of Rutherford County gears up for 2008 Rutherford County Month. “Rutherford County Month is a working example of how we can create…

Continue reading

Historic marker to honor Congressman James Richardson

The Murfreesboro Post, August 31, 2008 A new Tennessee Historic Commission Marker will be placed in remembrance and honor of the unique life of a Rutherford County leader and statesman, James Daniel Richardson, 1843-1914. A ceremony dedicating the marker will occur at 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept.14 at the corner of…

Continue reading

Rare Civil War spur found at Harding House site

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, Mike West , Managing Editor, July 21, 2008 Sweltering temperatures, pesky bugs and blisters brought on by combating the hard battlefield soil weren’t enough to discourage volunteers who, for the second weekend in a row, braved the 94-degree heat to participate in the Harding…

Continue reading

Battle destroyed Giles Harding’s dream of grandeur

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, Managing Editor Mike West, July 13, 2008 Giles Scales Harding had big dreams. He wanted to build a bigger and better home than his first cousin, William Giles Harding, had constructed in 1853 outside of Nashville on a plantation developed by his father John…

Continue reading

Archeologists to pinpoint Harding House/ brick kiln site

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, July 10, 2008 Dr. Tom Nolan, director of MTSU’s Laboratory for Spatial Technology, will lead the way in conducting a geospatial archaeological survey this month to recover and map artifacts from the Battle of Stones River and create a permanent spatial record of their…

Continue reading

Restoration is under way on 1800s-era schoolhouse

Doug Davis, The Tennessean, July 4, 2008 Adjoining log home is part of the project An 1800s brink home that once housed the Eliza Ransom Private School is, after years of neglect, undergoing a restoration. “It’s coming along, yes siree”, said a jubilant C.B. Arnette, who has been spearheading the…

Continue reading

Union army destroyed historic church

The Murfreesboro Post, June 1, 2008 Citizens angered by cemetery desecration During the occupation of Murfreesboro, few things infuriated local residents more than the destruction of First Presbyterian Church and the desecration of the City Cemetery by Union troops.  There has been an unprecedented destruction of property both private and…

Continue reading

Top 10: Old jail site to move on to another use

The Murfreesboro Post, June 1, 2008 Editors note: With the new Juvenile Center coming online this month, the original Rutherford County Jail will no longer be used for a detention facility. We thought it was appropriate to touch upon some of the facts that made the old jail historic. 1.…

Continue reading

Son writes book about Dr. Seatbelt’s legacy

The Murfreesboro Post, May 31, 2008 More than 8,700 children are alive today thanks to the tireless lobbying efforts of the late pediatrician Murfreesboro Dr. Robert Sanders. Sanders and his wife, Pat, lobbied the Tennessee Legislature for several years to pass the nations first child passenger seat law in 1977. …

Continue reading

Rutherford County Firsts

Rutherford County Firsts Brick house in Murfreesboro: erected by John M. Telford, 1811. Tavern, owned by A. Carmichael, 1813, near Pump Springs, north side square. Cotton factory, South Maple Street, 1831. First Negro to serve in State Legislature, Sam Keeble, 1867. Stage coach from Nashville, 1830. Turnpike, Nashville-Murfreesboro-Shelbyville, 1831. Automobile…

Continue reading

Spring at Evergreen Cemetery

Carol Robertson White, The Murfreesboro Post, April 17, 2008 Murfreesboro Post reader Carol White took this beautiful spring photo at historic Evergreen Cemetery where the dogwoods are in full bloom.

Continue reading

‘Top 10’ things you should know about Cannonsburgh

The Murfreesboro Post, April 6, 2008 1. Cannonsburgh was the original name of Murfreesboro. It was named in honor of Newton Cannon, a rising Williamson County politician and veteran of the Creek War. He would later become Tennessee’s first Whig governor. The little village’s name changed to Murfreesborough about 30…

Continue reading

Civil War: Women faced danger in roles as spies

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, Shirley Farris Jones, March 23, 2008 Second of three partsWhen one thinks of a Civil War soldier, a male image usually comes to mind. And, men fought the war largely, but not exclusively. Long ago, someone arrived at a ballpark figure of about 300…

Continue reading

A greeting card sealed the big deal

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, Erin Edgemon, Business Editor, March 9, 2009 A greeting card sent in 1953 wishing the president and the entire State Farm Insurance corporation a Merry Christmas sealed the deal to bring the first major white-collar employer to Murfreesboro. But it wasn’t a normal Christmas…

Continue reading

Stones River: A look at the first day of battle

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, Mike West, Managing Editor, March 2, 2008 Editor’s Note: To put our ongoing coverage of the Civil War in perspective, here is a brief recounting of the Battle of Stones River hitting upon some key points. Why fight at Murfreesboro? Only 2,500 people lived…

Continue reading

Black Southerners in Confederate gray

As published in the Murfreesboro Post, December 21, 2007 February marks the beginning of Black History Month – a remembrance of important people and events of African American origin that began in 1926. There have been many major contributions to our nation and to our society by black Americans some…

Continue reading