December 1, 2018, WGNS Radio.
(MURFREESBORO) From 4:00 to 8:00PM Saturday evening (12/1/2018) sprinkles along with temps in the low 60s brought huge crowds to the opening hours of the 35th ANNUAL CANDLELIGHT TOUR OF HOMES.
In addition to the tour, Oaklands Mansion hosted a Holiday Marketplace in Maney Hall. A selection of local artisans and craftspeople featured their wares for holiday shoppers. Admission to the marketplace is included with tickets to the Candlelight Tour of Homes.
Plus, the Baker’s Dozen Cookie Cabin along with Cousins Maine Lobster were parked on the street in front of Oaklands Mansion. Patrons gave rave reviews of the two vendors.
“The Candlelight Tour of Homes is a Middle Tennessee tradition thirty-five years in the making,” said James Manning, Executive Director. “Tour goers love that they can begin at any location and, if they have not already purchased a ticket in advance at oaklandsmansion.org, they can buy one at any home on the tour. You can find the tour route and parking suggestions on our website.”
The cornerstone of the tour is the grand Oaklands Mansion. At its peak, Oaklands was the center of a 1,500- acre plantation and one of the most elegant homes in Rutherford County. Since that time, Oaklands has seen dramatic changes. Following the Civil War, it deteriorated from a majestic mansion to virtual ruins and, in the 1950’s, its very existence was threatened. The mansion was brought back from the brink of destruction, saved from the wrecking ball when a group of concerned ladies created Oaklands Association in 1959. Since that time, the Association has worked tirelessly to restore Oaklands to its original splendor and preserve its unique history.
In addition to the beautifully seasonally decorated Oaklands Mansion, the following homes were included in the 2018 Candlelight Tour of Homes:
- Oaklands Mansion & Cottage, 900 North Maney Avenue
- Holiday Marketplace at Oaklands Visitors Center, 901 North Maney Avenue
- Mr. Corey Williams, 450 Roberts Street
- Mr. & Mrs. Gordon Bell- Big Holly, 718 North Maney Avenue
- Mr. & Mrs. Gordon Bell- Big Holly’s Little House, 700 North Maney Avenue
- Mr. & Mrs. Rhea Cole, 619 North Maney Avenue
- Mr. & Mrs. Richard Ventiegham, 603 North Maney Avenue
- Mr. & Mrs. Daren Chambley, 525 North Maney Avenue
- Dreamingincolor, 504 North Maney Avenue
- Ransom School House, 717 North Academy Street