Overall School (Black) School, 1920-c1936

OVERALL SCHOOL BLACK f 1. 1920’s-c 1936 was east of Lofton. It was about one and one-half miles south of State Road 96 on the east side of Craddock Road. The schoolhouse was a one-room building which was used also by the Colored Overall Methodist Church. Known teachers were Odessa…

Continue reading

Northcott School, 1879-1885

NORTHCOTT SCHOOL f 1. 1879-fl. 1885 was in District 22 about three-fourths of a mile east of Brown’s Mill on the east side of the Northcott farm. The ground was probably given by the elder James Northcott. The namesJ. Northcott and S. Kerr are on the 1878 Beers Map. The…

Continue reading

Lascassas School (Black), ?-1945

LASCASSAS SCHOOL BLACK (1945) was held in the Sycamore Grove Missionary Baptist Church on the west side of Valley View Road and just north of the Jefferson-Milton Road. The one-room frame building was warmed by a coal heater. Water was carried from the home of Mrs. Zula Norris. Both desks…

Continue reading

Hayes School, 1860’s-1899

HAYES SCHOOL f1. 1860’s-1899 was between Twelve Corners and Lofton and was on Rhodes Lane, now Jim Allen Road. It was on the property of Dave crouse about one mile off Cainsville Pike. A Mrs. D. Crouse is shown on the Beer’s Map of 1878. The school was a one-teacher,…

Continue reading

Readyville High School, 1880’s-1903

READYVILLE HIGH SCHOOL 1880’s-1902 or 1903, sometimes called TALLEY HILL, was located at Readyville on the north side of the Woodbury Road, east of Stones River, on a rocky hill behind Tilford’s store. The school was, according to an 1894 brochure, in Rutherford County. In 1892 N. D. Overall, County…

Continue reading

Kittrell High School, 1926-1972

KITTRELL HIGH SCHOOL 1926-1972 was on the same site. On July 1, 1927, Mollie Tilford, J. O. and Verna Abernathy, Mrs. L. D. Bowling, Bertha Puryear, and Mrs. J. P. Gilley deeded to the County Board of Educationone acre. The Rutherford County School Commission was deeded 2.91 acres by J.…

Continue reading

Hickory Grove School, Kittrell (Black) 1880’s-1930’s

HICKORY GROVE SCHOOL BLACK 1880’s-1930’s was also called SEED TICK SCHOOL. It was on the east side of Cripple Creek Road and just south of the Woodbury Highway. In the 1900’s the lane to the school was through private property owned by the Swaffords and the school, as well as…

Continue reading