Jefferson School, 1850-1878

JEFFERSON SCHOOL 1850-1878 was on the south side of Jefferson Pike and east of the village. It was near the old Ridley or Davis flour mill and on a lotwhich had been owned by Robert Weakley. The site is indicated on the Beers Map of 1878. The one-room building was…

Continue reading

Greenwood School (aka ‘Seed Tick’) 1878-c1922

GREENWOOD SCHOOL, sometimes called SEED TICK 1878-c 1922, in the old fifth and new first District was first on a farm owned by Caleb Swain on Lamar Road about one mile north of the present Jefferson Pike. It was near the Fall Creek. GREENWOOD SCHOOL was next located about one-half…

Continue reading

First United Methodist Church celebrates 200 years!

March 26, 2020, Jason Reynolds The Murfreesboro Post First United Methodist Church is celebrating its bicentennial throughout this year, with activities including tours at its original downtown sites and the Windrow Campground, where a revival once broke out in Rutherford County. “Two-hundred years is an extremely significant moment in the…

Continue reading

The Ransom School House, 1976

March 26, 2020, from the Digital Archives of the Rutherford County Historical Society The Ransom School House has been beautiful restored and maintained since this photo was taken c1976, most likely by Dr. Bealer Smotherman, longtime professor at Middle Tennessee State University and local historian. Bealer was alo an avid…

Continue reading

Keeble School, c1860-1863

KEEBLE SCHOOL c1860-1863, was located in the community of Jefferson. A journal kept by Bettie Ridley Blackmore recorded in a March 1893 entry: “The Keeble school was burnt by Federal troops.” SOURCES: Bettie Ridley Blackmore, “Journal,” TheTennessee Historical Quarterly, March 1953, XII, no. 1. *Gene Sloan, “Jefferson Probably Had County’s…

Continue reading

Hillcrest, also known as, The Crest

March 3, 2020, March/April Froe Chips, written and researched by Barry Lamb “It was in this home, with its red brick walls and tall white columns, that five hundred persons attended what has been called the ‘most beautiful wedding celebration ever held in Murfreesboro’.” These words, written by Mary Boddie…

Continue reading

Milton Seminary (aka Milton Academy), 1857-1956

MILTON SEMINARY or MILTON MALE AND FEMALE SEMINARY 1857-1956 is shown on the Beers Map of 1878. It was on the northeast corner of State Road 96 and the North Milton Road. By 1850 William Byrn, Green Byrn, and Enoch Jones contracted with the Rev. Jared Warren, a Baptist preacher…

Continue reading

Trimble School, 1893-1918

TRIMBLE SCHOOL 1893-c 1918 was on Trimble Road which runs north off Hall’s Hill Pike. The school was on the west side of the road and south of the Trimble Cemetery. On July 29k, 1893, D. H. Sneed and wife M. E. Sneed deeded land to School Directors George C.…

Continue reading