Murfreesboro City Hall

Page 13, ‘Pictures and the Stories they Tell’, by Frank Caperton and Susan Daniel, 2008 The old Murfreesboro City Hall and Fire Hall was located on the corner of South Church and Vine Street till razed in the early 1940’s to make way for the expansion of Murfreesboro’s Goldstein’s Department Store.…

Continue reading

Class of ’43 recalls ‘Rock School’ days

Connie Esh, The Murfreesboro Post, August 31, 2016 Saturday afternoon was definitely “old school” for four of the five remaining 1943 graduates of the “Old Rock School.” The Smyrna High School Class of ’43 gathered at O’Charley’s in Smyrna for their 73rd class reunion. All four graduates who attended are…

Continue reading

Carnation Milk Plant

Ever wonder why there is an old smokestack behind Haynes Bros. Lumber on the corner of Broad Street and Old Fort Pkwy.? One of the largest milk plants in the southeastern United States was the Carnation Milk plant.

Continue reading

Who remembers the old Castlewood home?

Who remembers the old Castlewood home?  How about Riverside?  The Tarpley House?  Evergreen? This is page 94 from ‘Pictures and the stories they tell’, Frank Caperton & Susan Daniel, 2008, available for only $45 by clicking on the ‘Publications’ tab at the top of this page.

Continue reading

Elam Mill

Dr. Thomas Jefferson Elam (great grandfather of Ed ‘Sonny‘ Elam) was the surgeon for the 45th Tennessee (Confederate) during the Civil War.  After the war he returned to the Rucker Community to continue his medical practice and raise his eight children with wife Elizabeth Snell Elam.  He opened the original…

Continue reading

Nice’s Mill

Between Murfreesboro and Smyrna, just to the east of today’s US Hwy. 41 (Nashville Hwy.) sits Nice’s Mill.  Nice’s Mill was once known as Ward‘s Mill.  Mr. J.E. Nice, Sr. and son J.E. Nice, Jr. came to Rutherford County from Coffee County circa 1923 and purchased Ward‘s Mill near the…

Continue reading

Old Log Home on Old Nashville Hwy.

This old log home is located just south of the Stones River United Methodist Church on the Old Nashville Hwy., and approximately 1/3 of a mile north of the historic entrance to the Stones River National Battlefield.      

Continue reading