BARFIELD SCHOOL 1913-1958 was in the 11th District. In October 27, 1913, T. B. Yeargan, Trustee, sold for $1 four acres of land for the school on the Barfield and Crescent Road at the intersection of the road leading east to
the Shelbyville Road.
The frame building, erected under the direction of R. D. Snell and Jeff Ogles, had three large classrooms, cloak rooms, and porches. There were two halls.
Mr. Barnes was the first teacher. Other teachers were Sally Miller, Lula Tolbert, Maggie Gamewell, Sara Sanders, Leon Smith, Bernice Couch, Lera Todd, Sally T. Davis, Mabel Bell, Earline Spillman, Frank Kirk, Robert Jones, Lena Taylor Alsup, Venita Smotherman, Ruby Davis, Nellie Malone Parsley,
Gene Dell Crockett Smotherman, Myrtle Ogles Robinson, Margaret Smotherman Delbridge, Carrie Mccullough Ward, Geneva Davis Yeargan, Ray Brandon, Lucille Ross Goodman, Jessie Jacobs, Sadie Huddleston, Mrs. Markum, and Mary Lou Smotherman Parsley.
High school work through the eleventh grade was offered for two years.
In the early days of the school, a school wagon transported students. Wagon drivers were Fount Crockett, Edgar Williams, and Will Rowland.
On April 6, 1961, the Rutherford County School Commission sold the four acres of school property to Albert Parsley and wife Nellie. The school building was torn down and the lumber was sold.
SOURCES: Deed Book 55, p. 686; Book 138, p. 387. *Gene Sloan, “Oak Grove School Last One in Link.” The Daily News Journal Accent, July 17, 1977. Interviews, Feb. 24, 1984, with Mattie B. Barber Wrather, student; August 8, 1985, with Frances Malone Summar, student. *Myrtle Ogles Robinson, student and teacher. *Nellie Malone Parsley, student and teacher.