BRANDON TRAINING SCHOOL 1895 was founded by Alfred J. Brandon, Jr., in Christiana. It is thought that this school for older students occupied one room at the HERMITAGE ACADEMY before relocating in Wartrace.
According to Gilbert Gordon’s book, “In 1895 when he was about sixteen, Alf Gordon began going to school at the Brandon Training School in Christiana. When this school was moved to Wartrace, he followed and continued to attend until he graduated, He won a medal in Latin during this period.”
It is believed that P. A. Lyons and Robert Gordon also attended the school in Christiana. Sam Haynes of Milton and an uncle of Nathan Burns was a student. Mrs. Florence Prater Rutledge of Fosterville was both a student and assistant teacher after the school moved.
According to the diploma of W. Beecher Horton, who also moved with the school, subjects taught at Wartrace and probably at Christiana were Physics, Astronomy, Geology, Physiology, Civil Government, Political Economy, English Literature, U. S. History, General History, Trigonometry, Algebra, Rhetoric, Arithmetic, Chemistry, and Psychology. The diploma is dated 1898.
In the annual report of the State Superintendent, A. J. Brandon is listed as the City Superintendent of Wartrace in 1897.
SOURCES: Tennessee. Department of Public Instruction. Annual Report 1897 Nashville: Marshall and Bruce, 1898. Gilbert Gordon, A Country Doctor, Midland, Tennessee 1980 Interviews, July 1982, with Graham Gordon, who has both the book from which the picture came and the diploma,, W. Beecher Horton, the uncle of Graham’s wife, had a grocery store on the west side of the square in Murfreesboro; July 18, 1982, with
William Miller, b. 1889; July 19, 1982, with Jewell Prater Powell; July 22, 1982, with Nathan Burns, d. July 3, 1984. *Mary Lou Gordon Davidson.