Jefferson School, 1850-1878

JEFFERSON SCHOOL 1850-1878 was on the south side of Jefferson Pike and east of the village. It was near the old Ridley or Davis flour mill and on a lotwhich had been owned by Robert Weakley. The site is indicated on the Beers Map of 1878. The one-room building was…

Continue reading

Greenwood School (aka ‘Seed Tick’) 1878-c1922

GREENWOOD SCHOOL, sometimes called SEED TICK 1878-c 1922, in the old fifth and new first District was first on a farm owned by Caleb Swain on Lamar Road about one mile north of the present Jefferson Pike. It was near the Fall Creek. GREENWOOD SCHOOL was next located about one-half…

Continue reading

Keeble School, c1860-1863

KEEBLE SCHOOL c1860-1863, was located in the community of Jefferson. A journal kept by Bettie Ridley Blackmore recorded in a March 1893 entry: “The Keeble school was burnt by Federal troops.” SOURCES: Bettie Ridley Blackmore, “Journal,” TheTennessee Historical Quarterly, March 1953, XII, no. 1. *Gene Sloan, “Jefferson Probably Had County’s…

Continue reading

Jefferson School, 1888-1930

JEFFERSON SCHOOL 1888-1930 was in old District 6 on the north side of Jefferson Pike and west of the village and the Florence Road intersection. The school was bound by the Jefferson-Milton Turnpike, by J. W. Lenoir, and by Daniel King. On September 15, 1888, John W. Lenoir, who was…

Continue reading

St. Paul School (Black), 1889-1912

ST. PAUL SCHOOL BLACK 1889-1912 was in Old Jefferson in District 6. It was about one-fourth mile east of the square toward the river and on the left side of the road. On January 30, 1889, John M. Reese and wife Mary H. signed a deed for one square acre…

Continue reading

Jefferson Seminary of Learning, 1811-1815

JEFFERSON SEMINARY OF LEARNING 1811-1815 was located in the courthouse of the Jefferson Community in old District 6. The courthouse had been abandoned when the county seat was moved to Lytle property in what is now Murfreesboro. The legislature made John Coffee, Peter Legrand, Shelton Crosthwaite, George Simpson, and Walter…

Continue reading

Jefferson: Gone but not forgotten

Brian Wilson, Daily News Journal, March 30, 2015 (Please click here to visit the Society’s page regarding Old Jefferson and Jefferson Springs) SMYRNA — Old Jefferson, the first county seat in Rutherford County and literally taken off the map 50 years ago, is the subject of a Rutherford County Archives…

Continue reading

Tour of Old Jefferson

October 25, 2008 Jefferson native Toby Francis gave a tour to a large group of local history enthusiasts October 25 (2008). The weather was wonderful as more than two dozen local history enthusiasts.

Continue reading