Readyville High School, 1880’s-1903

READYVILLE HIGH SCHOOL 1880’s-1902 or 1903, sometimes called TALLEY HILL, was located at Readyville on the north side of the Woodbury Road, east of Stones River, on a rocky hill behind Tilford’s store. The school was, according to an 1894 brochure, in Rutherford County. In 1892 N. D. Overall, County…

Continue reading

Kittrell High School, 1926-1972

KITTRELL HIGH SCHOOL 1926-1972 was on the same site. On July 1, 1927, Mollie Tilford, J. O. and Verna Abernathy, Mrs. L. D. Bowling, Bertha Puryear, and Mrs. J. P. Gilley deeded to the County Board of Educationone acre. The Rutherford County School Commission was deeded 2.91 acres by J.…

Continue reading

Hickory Grove School, Kittrell (Black) 1880’s-1930’s

HICKORY GROVE SCHOOL BLACK 1880’s-1930’s was also called SEED TICK SCHOOL. It was on the east side of Cripple Creek Road and just south of the Woodbury Highway. In the 1900’s the lane to the school was through private property owned by the Swaffords and the school, as well as…

Continue reading

Kittrell School, 1889-1912

KITTRELL SCHOOL 1889-1912 was opened on the same site as the former 1880 school and the present school. On November 11, 1889, P. M. Puryear and C. O. Abernathy deeded one acre of land to School Directors W. R. Jamison, William Arnett, and M. E. Pitts. The deed located the…

Continue reading

Squirrel Hill School, (Black) 1910-1944

SQUIRREL HILL SCHOOL BLACK 1910’s-1944 was on the west side of the Hall’s Hill-Kittrell Road and about one mile south of the Hall’s Hill store. Land for the school, which was also called HALL’S HILL BLACK, was givenby Jim T. Richardson. The schoolhouse was a one-room frame building with one…

Continue reading

Second Historic Property Gets Tax Abatement

The Rutherford County Historic Property Review Board has recently approved the tax abatement application for the historic home of Alan and Beth Morris at 406 North Academy Street in Murfreesboro. The antebellum (1857) original structure is now undergoing extensive renovation and addition. Identified as the H. B. Crockett home on…

Continue reading

Marymont Photo Day

May 29, 2020 RCHS Volunteers Frank Caperton and Brett Garner For a wonderful article regarding Marymont Mansion, please click here. RCHS volunteers Frank Caperton and Brett Garner stopped by the Marymont Mansion on Rucker Lane, just west of Murfreesboro and got a few pics…

Continue reading

Glorianna School, 1900-1941

GLORIANNA SCHOOL 1900-1941 was on the Wilson side of the Rutherford-Wilson County line with the playground on the Rutherford side. It was on the north side of the Oregon Road and three miles east of the Cainesville Pike. The GLORIANNA SCHOOL took the place of the OREGON SCHOOL. E. S.…

Continue reading

Bethel School (Black), 1900-1967

BETHEL SCHOOL BLACK 1900-1967 a Rosenwald school, was first located on land which joined Little Bethel Missionary Baptist Church on Holly Grove Road. The land was donated to Rutherford County by the United Sons of Relief Lodge. BETHEL SCHOOL was preceded by CRAWFORD SCHOOL inthe area. The second location of…

Continue reading

North Maney Avenue Home First to Qualify for Tax Abatement

May 8, 2020, Greg Tucker, Rutherford County Historian Congratulations to RCHS Secretary Bonnie Black! Her home at 513 North Maney Avenue, Murfreesboro, is the first historic property approved under the new Rutherford County Historic Properties Tax Abatement program. The Maney Avenue home, known as the Fulghum-Nuell House, is in one…

Continue reading