KELLEY CHAPEL SCHOOL 1886- was on the west side of the Eagleville-Shelbyville Turnpike about three miles south of Eagleville. On August 16, 1886, Enoch Beale Kelley and Sarah Jane Kelley deeded one half acre of land to School Directors F. Oglivie, John B. Crichlow, and Anderson Wilson for twenty-five dollars. The name E. B. Kelley is shown on the 878 Beers Map. Neighbors were William White and John Owen.
The school was a one-room building.
The old KELLEY schoolhouse was later used as a school for lacks and was called LIZZARD LICK. Beulah Owen was a teacher.
On October 24, 1929, the County Board of Education sold three-fourth acre, the old KELLEY SCHOOL, to H. C. Osteen for fifty dollars.
The schoolhouse is still used as a house. The old Kelley home is still standing. None of the people interviewed can remember the school when it was a white school.
SOURCES: Deed Book 29, p. 40; Book 82, p. 216. Interviews, Feb. 25, 1985, with Enoch B. Kelley, grandson of Enoch B. Kelley; Feb. 25, 1985, with Margaret Kelley King, great granddaughter of Enoch B. Kelley; April 25, 1985, with Pearl Tucker, b. March 17, 1892.