PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL 1923-1939, sometimes called “CHIGGER RIDGE” and “PUMPKIN CENTER,” was located on Rocky Glade Road about four miles north of Highway 99. It was on the south side of the road just east of the intersection with Taylor Road.
When the LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL closed, the building was torn down, the lumber was moved, and the school was rebuilt as PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL. The school was a two-room building, weatherboarded, and painted white.
The first teachers were Principal Georgia Lee Marable Pate, who served four years, 1923-1927, and Elise Robinson.
Other teachers were Anna Campbell Morgan, Mary B. Prater Marable, Nannie Kelley Vaughan, and Mary Frank Auberry. In 1931-1932, Vera Covington began her teaching career with Nannie Kelly Vaughan as principal. When Nannie Vaughan retired to raise a family, Vera Covington became principal and Frances McLain became the second teacher.
In the first year of the school, there were about 45-50 students. Students in 1923-1924 included Tommy and Julia Mai Clark; Jimmie and Minnie Clark; the Marable and Underwood children. Because of consolidation of schools and the consequent decrease in small schools, by 1936 there were 18 enrolled in the fall with one teacher, Vera Covington.
The PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL was consolidated with ROCKVALE and EAGLEVILLE SCHOOLS in 1938. On March 1, 1941, the County Board of Education deeded to Mrs. H. V. Hall the one acre of school property.
SOURCES: Deed Book 88, p. 46. Interview, July 29, 1985 with Bertha Turner Snow, b. 1897. *Georgia Lee Marable Pate. *Vera Covington