LA VERGNE SCHOOL 1877-1884 was bound on the southwest by the Nashville-Murfreesboro Turnpike, on the east by W.M. Walden, and on the northwest by W. G. Akin.
The names W.M. Walden and W. G. Akin are on the 1878 Beers Map.
On January 4, 1877, James M. Cowley and wife Mary A. sold three acres of land for a free school to School Commissioners D.M. Nelson, J.M. Blair, and E.W. Owen for $164.
Teachers were Alice Charlton in 1881 and again in 1884, Dayton Sanford in 1882, and Lena Owen in 1884.
A.B. Mitchell in 1881 attended his first school here.
The school was in some way destroyed.
Students attended classes in a one-room building on the south side of the present La Vergne Church of Christ until a schoolhouse could be rebuilt on this 1877 site in about 1911.
SOURCES: Deed Book 22, p. 471. Shirlie Chaney, “Log Schools First Served La Vergne Area,” The Daily News Journal, Nov. 13, 1963, p. 6. Interview, October 15, 1985, with Mary Sutton Mason, the daughter of Will Sutton who later bought Akin property adjoining the school.