SINKING CREEK SCHOOL 1843-1924 was in District 2, north of La Vergne and east of the present Stones River Road. The school was near Dr. Ewing’s and Judge William Mason’s homes in the present Hollandale area. The SINKING CREEK SCHOOL was also the Sinking Creek Church until the
Hollandale Church was built. The site of the Sinking Creek Church and the name W. Mason are shown on the 1878 Beers Map.
On December 9, 1843, Robert H. Mason deeded three acres and two poles for a permanent school to Common School Commissioners Samuel Kimbro, Henry Gregory, and James Thompson.
This building was at first a one-teacher school. In about 1915 or 1916 there were two teachers. The building was weatherboarded and painted white.
Known teachers were Lillie House in 1900, Sally Miller, Lela Duggan, Miss Davis, and Will Travis. Annell Smith was the last teacher.
At first, children of the Alexander and Mason families were students.
The school burned in 1924. Students were transferred to a new school named HOLLANDALE.
SOURCES: Deed Book 1, p. 469. Letter dated July 21, 1984, from Benton McMillian Mason, a student and grandson of Judge William Mason, and from Benton M. Mason Jr. Interview, Aug 2, 1984, with Mary Sutton Mason, wife of William Alexander Mason, Jr., b. 1895, a student starting in 1902, and a grandson of Judge William Mason. Hoover, p. 161.