Squirrel Hill School, (Black) 1910-1944

SQUIRREL HILL SCHOOL BLACK 1910’s-1944 was on the west side of the Hall’s Hill-Kittrell Road and about one mile south of the Hall’s Hill store. Land for the school, which was also called HALL’S HILL BLACK, was givenby Jim T. Richardson. The schoolhouse was a one-room frame building with one…

Continue reading

Murfreesboro Bank & Trust Open House

December 4, 1957, The Daily News Journal Murfreesboro Bank & Trust was once located on the northwest corner of the historic Rutherford County Square, also known as the former Rutherford County Clerks Office. The following is from The Daily News Journal, December 4, 1957:

Continue reading

Second Historic Property Gets Tax Abatement

The Rutherford County Historic Property Review Board has recently approved the tax abatement application for the historic home of Alan and Beth Morris at 406 North Academy Street in Murfreesboro. The antebellum (1857) original structure is now undergoing extensive renovation and addition. Identified as the H. B. Crockett home on…

Continue reading

Marymont Photo Day

May 29, 2020 RCHS Volunteers Frank Caperton and Brett Garner For a wonderful article regarding Marymont Mansion, please click here. RCHS volunteers Frank Caperton and Brett Garner stopped by the Marymont Mansion on Rucker Lane, just west of Murfreesboro and got a few pics…

Continue reading

Glorianna School, 1900-1941

GLORIANNA SCHOOL 1900-1941 was on the Wilson side of the Rutherford-Wilson County line with the playground on the Rutherford side. It was on the north side of the Oregon Road and three miles east of the Cainesville Pike. The GLORIANNA SCHOOL took the place of the OREGON SCHOOL. E. S.…

Continue reading

Bethel School (Black), 1900-1967

BETHEL SCHOOL BLACK 1900-1967 a Rosenwald school, was first located on land which joined Little Bethel Missionary Baptist Church on Holly Grove Road. The land was donated to Rutherford County by the United Sons of Relief Lodge. BETHEL SCHOOL was preceded by CRAWFORD SCHOOL inthe area. The second location of…

Continue reading

Mud Flat School, 18??-?

MUD FLAT was a one-room, one-teacher school on Swamp Road. Julia Rooker was a teacher and John Riley Singleton, b. Nov. 15, 1870, was a student. He studied the ‘McGuffy Reader’ and the ‘Blue Back Spellers’. MUD FLAT may have been another name for COLEMAN SCHOOL but no verification can…

Continue reading

Rutherford County Court House

Condensed from “Annals of Rutherford County., Volume I” by John Spence In 1991, the Rutherford County Historical Society published three books developed from the various diaries of lifelong Murfreesboro resident John Cedric Spence. The reader will notice errors in spelling and sentence structure.  However, the Rutherford County Historical Society felt…

Continue reading

This House became a Hotel

May 11, 2020, May/June Froe Chips, Researched by Debbie Lillard and Barry Lamb and written by Barry Lamb The house was decorated with holly and winter berries…the lights from lamps and candles flashed on the uniforms and the trappings of the officers, and were reflected in the bright eyes of the pretty…

Continue reading

North Maney Avenue Home First to Qualify for Tax Abatement

May 8, 2020, Greg Tucker, Rutherford County Historian Congratulations to RCHS Secretary Bonnie Black! Her home at 513 North Maney Avenue, Murfreesboro, is the first historic property approved under the new Rutherford County Historic Properties Tax Abatement program. The Maney Avenue home, known as the Fulghum-Nuell House, is in one…

Continue reading

Murfreesboro Mayors

May 8, 2020, A Series by Barry Lamb Murfree, Dr. James Brickell was born in Murfreesboro on September 16, 1835. He graduated from Union University in 1854 and was soon after engaged in mercantile pursuits in Murfreesboro. He left Murfreesboro for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1857 to attend Jefferson Medical College…

Continue reading

Black Gnat Academy, 1850-1881

BLACK GNAT ACADEMY 1850-1881 was about four miles west of Murfreesboro on the Franklin Road. The school was on the west bank of Overall Creek, two hundred or three hundred yards north of the bridge. The site is shown on the Beers Map of 1878. Col. James Moore King, son…

Continue reading

Silver Spring School (Black), 1891-1959

SILVER SPRING SCHOOL BLACK 1891-1959 was on the east side of Florence Road which runs north of the Nashville Highway. The site was near the river, just south of the intersection of Wade Herrod Road. It was next to achurch. On August 28, 1891, a deed for one and one-half…

Continue reading