Confederate Reunion, September 25, 1928

Compliments of the Library of Congress Photograph shows group portrait of UCV Tennessee Division veterans wearing badges and uniforms with their wives; Civil War veteran Sergeant Harry Rene Lee of Co. K, 34th Mississippi Infantry Regiment stands at far left.

Continue reading

The Murfreesboro Seminary for Girls, 1886 – 1890

MURFREESBORO SEMINARY 1886-1890 was a school for young ladies and children. It was a private school held in the McFadden home at 502 North Maple Street in Murfreesboro. The Beers Map of 1878 shows that to be the residence of J. C. McFadden. The L-shaped building was a two-story log…

Continue reading

The Murfreesboro Female Seminary, 1835 – ???

MURFREESBOROUGH FEMALE SEMINARY January 1835 – ??? was inMurfreesboro, District 13. It has been written that the school was located at 123 East College Street on the corner where medical offices are today. That site, however, was the home of Robert Wendel who bought the historic house in 1855 from…

Continue reading

The Mooney School for Boys, 1902-1908

The MOONEY SCHOOL FOR BOYS 1902-1908 was located on the south side of East Main Street with buildings west of the present Second Avenue. It was founded by William Dromgoole Mooney who came to Murfreesboro from Franklin where he and Mr. Wall had founded Battle Ground Academy. On June 12,…

Continue reading

Woodlawn Academy (Versailles), 1888-1917

WOODLAWN ACADEMY 1888-c 1917 was more commonly known as GARRETTS or GARRETT SCHOOL. It was located two miles south of the Versailles store in Civil District 10, School District 37, and was on the west side of Versailles Road between the intersections of the Leb and Link Roads. Thomas Washington…

Continue reading

Depot Hill Water Storage Tank

February 3, 1974, The Daily News Journal How many times have we driven past water tanks without taking notice? The water tank located near McFadden School of Excellence is in an area once known as ‘Depot Hill’. $557,000 for a two-million gallon water tank seemed like a large sum of…

Continue reading

Holloway High School (Black), 1929-1968

HOLLOWAY HIGH SCHOOL BLACK 1929-1968 was built on the east side of South Highland Street. It was dedicated in December 1929 and was named in honor of E. C. Holloway who worked for the establishment of the school. The school served both city and county students. On April 27, 1929,…

Continue reading

The Female Academy, 1825-1891

The FEMALE ACADEMY 1825-1891 was located on the east side of Depot Street opposite the Methodist Church, presently Maple Street opposite the building of the Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation. According to the SOULE COLLEGE historical marker, the FEMALE ACADEMY was organized by Mary and Nancy Banks, teachers. F. N.…

Continue reading

Tommy Martin was ‘Mr. Murfreesboro’ for a reason

September 29, 2020 Jason Reynolds, The Murfreesboro Post Family and friends of the original ‘Mr. Murfreesboro’, Tommy Martin, said they want to make sure members of the community continue to remember his legacy. Martin’s influence in shaping the community in the mid-1900’s was such that the Murfreesboro City Council and…

Continue reading

First Lady Sarah Polk has Deep Roots in Murfreesboro

September 28, 2020, Susan Harber, Local Historian Rutherford County bequeathed an elegant and sophisticated future president’s wife in the emergence of Sarah Childress Polk. She was named for her maternal grandmother Sarah Thompson Whitsitt (1746-1831), who was born in British Colonial America. Sarah served as a respected and fascinating First…

Continue reading

Eagleville Male and Female Academy, 1877-1884

EAGLEVILLE MALE AND FEMALE SCHOOL or ACADEMY 1877-1884, called EAGLEVILLE INSTITUTE on the Beers Map of 1878, was on ‘Pig Alley’ which ran east off the present 41A Highway. It was next to the Baptist Church. The street is now Church Street. On December 24, 1877, Chesley Williams sold one…

Continue reading

Crichlow Grammar School, 1922-1968

CRICHLOW GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1922-1968 was located in Murfreesboro at 400 North Maple Street on the site of the old MURFREESBORO FEMALE ACADEMY and across the street from the present MTEMC building. In 1919, John Charles Mitchell, City School Superintendent, remodeled the old MURFREESBORO PUBLIC SCHOOL OR MAPLE STREET GRAMMAR SCHOOL,…

Continue reading

Morton School (Black), early 1900s

MORTON SCHOOL BLACK early 1900’s was on the east side of the present day Armstrong Valley Road and across from Ed Todd’s farm. A lane next to Rob Haynes’ farm led about 1/4 mile to the school. The Beers Map of 1878 shows the name W. H. Morton as owner…

Continue reading