EAGLEVILLE MALE AND FEMALE SCHOOL or ACADEMY 1877-1884, called EAGLEVILLE INSTITUTE on the Beers Map of 1878, was on ‘Pig Alley’ which ran east off the present 41A Highway. It was next to the Baptist Church. The street is now Church Street.
On December 24, 1877, Chesley Williams sold one acre of land for the MALE AND FEMALE HIGH SCHOOL. On July 13, 1880, Benjamin F. Hooper and wife Virginia deeded one-fourth additional acre for the school in the village of Eagleville to R. S. Brown, W. J. White, and W. H. McCord, school directors.
The land was bounded on the east by P. B. Williams, on the north by W. H. McCord, on the south by R. S. Brown, and on the west by the school lot.
The schoolhouse was a frame building with a wing extended on the back right.
The private school offered work in grade school, high school, and college.
In 1884 Dr. George M. Savage opened his own school in this building. It was called simply EAGLEVILLE SCHOOL but was known also as SAVAGE SCHOOL.
SOURCES: Deed Book 23, p. 400; Book 25, P. 240. “‘Big Eagle’ Was Source of Name,” The Daily News Journal, Nov. 13, 1963, p. 9.