FOSTERVILLE SCHOOL BLACK 1897-1947 was located on the east side of the U.S. 231 Highway between Christiana and Fosterville. It was on the first knob north of the Midland Road, just south of the present Faulk’s sawmill, and across from the home of the Fraziers and Braceys. The land was sold by Kit Frazier’s father, J. L. Frazier, who with his wife signed the deed on May 18, 1897.
The school was a one-room building. A partition across the back of the room provided space for coats. Later a second room, the FLAT ROCK SCHOOL building, with its door to the back, was added to the original building. The coat room remained between the two rooms.
The school for eight grades was first a one-teacher and then a two-teacher school. Among the teachers were India Thompson, Robert Butler, Sr., who was father of Mattie Butler Bracey and Robert Butler, Mrs. Sarah Brown, who boarded with Kit Frazier, Carrie Miller, Mrs. Johnny Manning, Mrs. Willie Miller, J. D. Chavis, Emma Lee Hallibtirton, Wayman Cooper from
Bell Buckle, Herbert Howland, Susie Minter, Mrs. Ferguson, Grace Morton, Juanita Collier, and Cassie Mae Collier. William Butler and Collier Woods taught together.
Family names of students included Rucker, Bracey, Wade, McGill, Thompson, Johnson, Edmondson, Frazier, Ransom, McCrosky, Kirby, Gordon, Webb, and Mason.
In 1947, Principal C. R. Woods and his students from FOSTERVILLE BLACK were consolidated with the CHRISTIANA SCHOOL (BLACK) near the intersection of the Rucker-Christiana Road and Johnson Road.
Kit Frazier drove a school bus.
SOURCES: Deed Book 38, p. 259. Interviews, Nov. 18, 1982, with Rosie Bell Frazier, student starting in 1923, and Frauline Frazier, student starting in 1915, both daughters of Kit Frazier. *Elvira Brothers, d. June 15, 1985.