Gladeview School (Black), Dilton, 1884-1958

GLADEVIEW SCHOOL BLACK 1884-1958 was first located on the west side of Mt. Herman Road at the intersection of Veals Road. F. G. Carney on September 13, 1884, deeded one-half acre to School Directors J. C. Coleman, W. J. Knox, and M. Frank Overall for “schoolhouse now standing on the lot.” On September 17, 1909, John Overall deeded 1/2 acre, but the school was moved that year to a site across from Prosperity Baptist Church. It was then on the east side of Mt. Herman Road and just north of the Bradyville Pike.

The schoolhouse had one room. By 1952 a kitchen had been added.

Some of the teachers were: Henry and Lula Bright, Leanna Smith, Annie Ransom, Luther Glanton, Robert Meeks, Mollie Leigh Jones, a Robinson, Roberta Bass, Mark McGowan, R. T. Butler, and Frank Knight.

Tennie Beard was a student in the 1890’s. Family names of students included Lyons, Beard, Smith, Tucker, Price, Butler, Bryson, Odom, Veals, Carney, Haynes, and Franklin.

At first, school was in session January, February, May, June, August, and part of September. Corn was planted in March, cotton in April, and cotton was picked in September. Later the terms were lengthened.

Subjects taught were chiefly reading, writing, and arithmetic. Gradually the curriculum was expanded. The school day began with a prayer and a song.

GLADEVIEW SCHOOL was consolidated with SHILOH BLACK on January 27, 1958.

In a deed signed August 28, 1958, the Rutherford County School Commission sold to Bruce Elrod and wife Mable the GLADEVIEW SCHOOL property.

SOURCES: Deed Book 124, p. 12; Book 50, p. 585. *Rebecca L. Smith, History of Dilton RCHS, Summer 1977, p. 72. “Country Negro School System Goes Forward,” The Daily News Journal, April 6, 1952, p. 21. Interview, Nov. 30, 1983, with Georgia Mai Jones, student in the 1930’s. *R. T. Butler, d. April 5, 1986. *Myrtle Lord.

Comments are closed.