Hiram Jenkins House – Demolished…

From: the Tennessee Preservation Trust

Since 1853, this handsome two-story Greek Revival house has stood firm – surviving a war that came to its front door and passing through successive decades of more peaceful changes.

But recently, the march of ‘progress’ has brought a new interstate interchange very near to the house.  With that development, the prospect of commercial development for the property looms VERY large.

The house and its surrounding acreage are currently for sale and the property has been rezoned.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989, the fact that the Jenkins House is also one of the last remaining buildings associated with the Battle of Stones River in 1862 amplifies its significance among preservationists.

A group of concerned citizens, the ‘Save the Jenkins House Campaign’, has formed to try and find a way to protect the house and at least a portion of the property around it.  They have gained several hundred signatures on petitions and are looking to find a potential buyer for the property.

After standing in Rutherford County for 153 years, this is the former site of the Jenkins House as it looked by late June, 2006.  Photo by Dan Deal.

The owners, former Atlanta Rhythym Section drummer Roy Yeager and Char Fontane had the Jenkins House bulldozed on Saturday, June 10, 2006. After the destruction of this irreplaceable landmark, TPT learned that unbeknownst to them or the grassroots group, the demo permit had actually been issued in April. It is a sad end and a completely avoidable loss. TPT first attempted to work with the property owners in 2003.

Comments are closed.