The McBRIDE SCHOOL between 1837 and 1851-1910’s was located west of Midland just over the Bedford County line. It was on the north side of the road about 1/2 mile east of the intersection with Longview Road. In 1837 Charles McBride bought a farm of 137 acres from Zephaniah Anglin and later gave land for a school. He moved in 1851. The schoolhouse was on the McBride farm which was later owned by the Hatchetts, then Edgar Williams, Wes Smotherman, and Estill Threet.
The schoolhouse was built on a corner of the farm. The small yard was enclosed by a rail fence. The building was of rough lumber, board and batten, with glass windows. Equipment included homemade desks and seats, a blackboard, and a recitation bench.
Teachers were John D. Smith, 1870; Hattie McLain in the 1890’s; Eugene Hollowell about 1897; Lena Chick; Ola Gill, who boarded at the Wheelhouse home; Viola Chick, 1900; Frusanna Hall Crockett about 1905; Carrie Wheelhouse Mitchell about 1910.
The length of the school term was three or four months. The nickname TOENAIL was reportedly given to the school because a little boy stubbed his toe on the rough floor. Another explanation given was that the school was small and insignificant.
Carrie Wheelhouse Mitchell remembers seeing her first moving picture in this building. The spectators were particularly impressed by the way feathers flew around during a pillow fight.
After the school closed, the building was occasionally used as a church by different religious faiths. It was later used as a barn. Today a small frame house stands on the site.
SOURCES: Dick Poplin, “Truth in Advertising,” Shelbyville Times Gazette, November 16, 1983. Interviews, Jan. 10, 1984, with *Carnie Wheelhouse Mitchell, b. Oct. 21, 1892, d. June 26, 1984; June 1983, with Clarence Harris. *Andrena Crockett Briney, daughter of Frusanna Hall Crockett. *Myrtle Wilson, d. 1984.