MILLERSBURG SCHOOL 1873-1907 was located on the south west corner of the intersection of the Hoovers Gap Road and the Millersburg Road. On July 11, 1873, Will N. White deeded one acre of land to the School commissioners S. J. Cobb, John Hale, and B. G. White. The site is shown on the 1878 Beers Map.
At that time the school was next to a blacksmith shop. Later a Church of Christ was built on the same corner.
MILLERSBURG is referred to as a high school in the 1888 report of County Superintendent James D. Nelson. The school was a one-room, one-teacher school. The schoolhouse was not standing in about 1906 or 1907 when school was held for one year in the Church of Christ building, which burned about 1914 and was later replaced by another.
Known teachers were Burrell White, b. 1870; John Woodfin, b. 1869; and Everett Frizzell. Robbie Ring Hoover was teacher in the church house.
Early students were Nora Lee Taylor Delbridge, b. 1878, John Delbridge, and Clarence Frizzell, b. 1893. Those who attended school in the church were Pruitt, Edgar and Herbert Taylor, and Mary Forrest Taylor; Reynolds, Marvin, and Monema White, children of Rob White and Flora Reynolds White; Bob Sim and Frank, Sons of Burrell and Lizzie Lynch White; Gladys
and Estelle Pruett, children of Will and Forrest Reynolds Pruett; Luke Rawlings; and Pinkie Delbridge Cobb.
Herbert Taylor remembered playing “stealing sticks” and the fact that Reynolds White, although a cripple, was the fastest runner.
When there was no longer a MILLERSBURG SCHOOL, students
went to PRUETT SCHOOL.
SOURCES: Deed Book 19, p. 292. Tennessee. Department of Public Instruction. Annual Report 1888 Nashville: Marshall and Bruce, 1889 . Interviews, Oct. 7, 1983, with Clarence Frizzell, b. 1890, d. March 8, 1985. He was a cousin of Everett Frizzell who was a brother of Mary Frizzell, a teacher at NORMAL SCHOOL; January 1985, by Ida Mae Deibridge
Beavers with Herbert Taylor, b. 1900, and Rosie Delbridge Mason. Ida Mae, daughter of Nora Lee Taylor Delbridge vaguely remembers the old church building. *Elizabeth White Davenport, daughter of Burrell White.