MT. PLEASANT SCHOOL BLACK 1883-1962 was on the north side of Elam Road between the present U.S. 41 and the Interstate 24. On September 1, 1883, J. A. and W. A. Ransom sold for a school .25 acre of land to School Directors of the 28th School District, T. J. Elam, Welcome Mankin, and William Snell. The school was behind the Little Bethel Methodist Church.
The schoolhouse was a one-room frame building with a door at one end and a stage at the other. There were two windows on each side.
The one-teacher school was for children in primer through the eighth grade.
Teachers were Henry Bright in 1909, Marie Phillips, Marie Bright, and Henrietta King, one of the last teachers.
Early students were Olivia Stovall Mintern who started in 1909, when she was seven years old, and Ella Stovall who was born in 1899. Students by the names of Spain, Bright, Martin, and Jetton attended the school.
In 1962, the school was consolidated with 231 SCHOOL.
MT. PLEASANT SCHOOL was later torn down. On June 1, 1972, the Rutherford County School Board sold to Obed Strickland, Lucille Smith, and James Thomas, Trustees of Little Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, the one-fourth acre of school land.
SOURCES: Deed Book 27, P. 55; Book 214, p. 406. Interview, Feb. 2, 1982, with Olivia Stovall Minter, b. 1902.