Overall School (Black) School, 1920-c1936

OVERALL SCHOOL BLACK f 1. 1920’s-c 1936 was east of Lofton. It was about one and one-half miles south of State Road 96 on the east side of Craddock Road. The schoolhouse was a one-room building which was used also by the Colored Overall Methodist Church. Known teachers were Odessa…

Continue reading

Lascassas School (Black), ?-1945

LASCASSAS SCHOOL BLACK (1945) was held in the Sycamore Grove Missionary Baptist Church on the west side of Valley View Road and just north of the Jefferson-Milton Road. The one-room frame building was warmed by a coal heater. Water was carried from the home of Mrs. Zula Norris. Both desks…

Continue reading

Shiloh School (Black), 1874-1967

SHILOH SCHOOL BLACK 1874-1967 was on the north side of Hall’s Hill Road about three and one-half miles from Murfreesboro. On July 30, 1874, Elizabeth Smith, Mary M. Harris, and Sam Harris deeded one acre of land on the Murfreesboro-Liberty Hill Pike to school commissioners. The lot was bordered by…

Continue reading

Hickory Grove School, Kittrell (Black) 1880’s-1930’s

HICKORY GROVE SCHOOL BLACK 1880’s-1930’s was also called SEED TICK SCHOOL. It was on the east side of Cripple Creek Road and just south of the Woodbury Highway. In the 1900’s the lane to the school was through private property owned by the Swaffords and the school, as well as…

Continue reading

Ice Man Likes Summer Heat

July 30, 1982, Jane Hamlin, The Daily News Journal The scorching summer days have got a lot of hot, sweaty people wishing autumn was already here – what with its dewy mornings and nippy nights. But there is one man in Murfreesboro who would probably like to hover around 95…

Continue reading

Squirrel Hill School, (Black) 1910-1944

SQUIRREL HILL SCHOOL BLACK 1910’s-1944 was on the west side of the Hall’s Hill-Kittrell Road and about one mile south of the Hall’s Hill store. Land for the school, which was also called HALL’S HILL BLACK, was givenby Jim T. Richardson. The schoolhouse was a one-room frame building with one…

Continue reading

Bethel School (Black), 1900-1967

BETHEL SCHOOL BLACK 1900-1967 a Rosenwald school, was first located on land which joined Little Bethel Missionary Baptist Church on Holly Grove Road. The land was donated to Rutherford County by the United Sons of Relief Lodge. BETHEL SCHOOL was preceded by CRAWFORD SCHOOL inthe area. The second location of…

Continue reading

Silver Spring School (Black), 1891-1959

SILVER SPRING SCHOOL BLACK 1891-1959 was on the east side of Florence Road which runs north of the Nashville Highway. The site was near the river, just south of the intersection of Wade Herrod Road. It was next to achurch. On August 28, 1891, a deed for one and one-half…

Continue reading

Charles Davis School (black), closed 1895

CHARLES DAVIS SCHOOL BLACK closed 1895 was “built in a green pasture before the creek to Guild Hill corner and on the property of Charles Davis.” It was in the area of Old Jefferson. The school was a one-room, one-teacher school. The last teacher was Kitty Howse. Turner Peebles, 87…

Continue reading

Locke’s School (Black) 1878-1965

LOCKE’S SCHOOL was built on land given by Charles Locke for a school and a church. It was on the south side of Spanntown Road just west of its intersection with the Almaville Road. There have been several school buildings. At first the school was taught in the church. In…

Continue reading