Central High School 1945 – Basketball

February 21, 1945, The Rutherford Courier Wow – look at some of the names from this newspaper clipping: Kneeling: Jack McHenry, James Carter, Collier Crichlow, Will Polk Allen and Nile McCrary. Standing: Jim Sprangler, Junior Cook, Richard Gannaway, Bill Nesbitt, Allen Prince and Butch Young.

Continue reading

Bradley Academy, 1806-1884

BRADLEY ACADEMY 1806-1884 was first located near Colonel Rucker’s place and the present Veterans Administration Hospital on the east side of Lebanon Pike about four miles north of Murfreesboro. By 1811, BRADLEY ACADEMY had moved to Murfreesboro to a site northeast of the 1918 BRADLEY SCHOOL building on South Academy…

Continue reading

Anderson School for Boys, 1908-1912

The ANDERSON SCHOOL FOR BOYS 1908-1912 took over the old MOONEY SCHOOL on the south side of East Main Street in Murfreesboro. On March 28, 1908, the School Trustees received from W. D. Mooney and wife Grace R. two parcels of land, the MOONEY SCHOOL and the home on High…

Continue reading

Overall School (Black) School, 1920-c1936

OVERALL SCHOOL BLACK f 1. 1920’s-c 1936 was east of Lofton. It was about one and one-half miles south of State Road 96 on the east side of Craddock Road. The schoolhouse was a one-room building which was used also by the Colored Overall Methodist Church. Known teachers were Odessa…

Continue reading

Northcott School, 1879-1885

NORTHCOTT SCHOOL f 1. 1879-fl. 1885 was in District 22 about three-fourths of a mile east of Brown’s Mill on the east side of the Northcott farm. The ground was probably given by the elder James Northcott. The namesJ. Northcott and S. Kerr are on the 1878 Beers Map. The…

Continue reading

Lascassas School (Black), ?-1945

LASCASSAS SCHOOL BLACK (1945) was held in the Sycamore Grove Missionary Baptist Church on the west side of Valley View Road and just north of the Jefferson-Milton Road. The one-room frame building was warmed by a coal heater. Water was carried from the home of Mrs. Zula Norris. Both desks…

Continue reading

Hayes School, 1860’s-1899

HAYES SCHOOL f1. 1860’s-1899 was between Twelve Corners and Lofton and was on Rhodes Lane, now Jim Allen Road. It was on the property of Dave crouse about one mile off Cainsville Pike. A Mrs. D. Crouse is shown on the Beer’s Map of 1878. The school was a one-teacher,…

Continue reading

Cainsville School, 1886-1941

CAINSVILLE SCHOOL before 1886-c 1941 was located on the west side of Cainsville Pike just over the Rutherford-Wilson County line. It was on the farm of Thomas Lillard Huddleston who gave the land for as long as there was a school. Both Wilson and Rutherford County students attended the school.…

Continue reading

Other Schools in District 21

Cader Dement, Henry Kirby, and Benjamin Clayton signed a deed on October 18, 1839 to School Commissioners William D. Baird, John Stroop, Christopher Acklan, James Sanford, and James Rucker for a school. Cader Dement guaranteed for the school “free passage to and from the spring.” There is an H. Kerby…

Continue reading

Shiloh School (Black), 1874-1967

SHILOH SCHOOL BLACK 1874-1967 was on the north side of Hall’s Hill Road about three and one-half miles from Murfreesboro. On July 30, 1874, Elizabeth Smith, Mary M. Harris, and Sam Harris deeded one acre of land on the Murfreesboro-Liberty Hill Pike to school commissioners. The lot was bordered by…

Continue reading