Kittrell High School, 1926-1972

KITTRELL HIGH SCHOOL 1926-1972 was on the same site. On July 1, 1927, Mollie Tilford, J. O. and Verna Abernathy, Mrs. L. D. Bowling, Bertha Puryear, and Mrs. J. P. Gilley deeded to the County Board of Educationone acre. The Rutherford County School Commission was deeded 2.91 acres by J.…

Continue reading

Kittrell School, 1889-1912

KITTRELL SCHOOL 1889-1912 was opened on the same site as the former 1880 school and the present school. On November 11, 1889, P. M. Puryear and C. O. Abernathy deeded one acre of land to School Directors W. R. Jamison, William Arnett, and M. E. Pitts. The deed located the…

Continue reading

1958 Kittrell School Play

April 6, 1958, The Daily News Journal “For Pete’s Sake” – Kittrell’s seniors will present “For Pete’s Sake”, a farce in the three acts by Jay Tobias, on Friday evening, April 11, at 7:45. The cast includes Reba Coleman, Brenda Lovvorn, Jimmy Bugg, Billy Boyd, Bobby Shrum, Frieda Travis, Geralline…

Continue reading

Wilson Hill School, 1860’s-1878

WILSON HILL SCHOOL f 1. 1860’s-fl. 1878 was on Wilson Hill Road north of the Woodbury Road. It was at the foot of Pilot Knob. On the 1878 Beers Map it is shown as a Baptist Church and school. The school was there whenJoseph David Hall, b. 1854, was a…

Continue reading

Science Hill Academy of Learning, 1870-1887

SCIENCE HILL ACADEMY OF LEARNING c1870-1887, used both as a school and as a church, was built on a hill on Franklin Hall’s farm on the north side of the Woodbury Road. The building replaced a log church which had been located farther from the stage road and had burned.…

Continue reading